How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr .Saha Your Own Question
Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 17824
Experience:  35 years experience as doctor
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr .Saha is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What would cause a sudden onset of severe leg and hip/groin

Resolved Question:

What would cause a sudden onset of severe leg and hip/groin pain in 34 yr old female; pain feels like hips are locked up and muscles are cramping.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 6 years ago.

What tests were taken?

How long and how frequently are you having the symptoms?

Which specialists were consulted?

Do you take any medicine for it?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

MRI of Brain - 8-10 areas of high signal foci, indicating demylenation-no enhancing lesions over last 2 years

Spinal Tap/Lumbar Puncture - Negative for MS

These symptoms come and go; for the last several years, usually about every 6 months is what I can pin point. Starts out with several days of extreme fatigue and exhaustion, then hips and legs begin to hurt severely, weakness sets in and I can't sleep, can't walk without assistance and tire easily.

I have consulted with Neurology and a Muscular Specialist as well as Endocrinologist

No medicine currently, OTC pain medicine and I take Paxil 20 mg for anxiety and Reglan for Gastroperesis

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 6 years ago.
Which medicine do you take during the attacks?

What is the impression of the neurologist?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I take a muscle relaxer (very rarely because it makes me feel funny) I believe it's called Voltaron (spell?) I take it when the muscles in my legs lock or spasm up, happens usually when I do alot of activity or walking. As for Neurology interpretation, I've consulted with 2 different lead me to believe it was my Thyroid but I don't have a thyroid disorder, not over or underactive thyroid...blood work revealed I produce thyroid antibodies, so he referred me to the ENdocrinologist who also said it was auto immune and referred me back to Neurologist. They wanted to do a muscle biopsy just on a "hunch" that it might reveal something; didn't want to be out of work for 6 weeks for that and my legs already hurt enough without being cut on.

The other neurologist basically told me to wait until I have other symptoms related to MS...I guess I will wake up one day and not be able to move my legs and then someone will pay attention to the symptoms I've been having. I consulted with him on Friday when the leg pain worsened again and he ordered a test for Celiac Disease.

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

It seems from your history that there is still no clear cut diagnosis about your problem.

Muscle spasm can occur in MS.

But when it is not progressing & involving a particular area around hip, legs & groin, you can take a consultation with an orthopedic specialist.

He can see whether there is any spine or hip joint problems.

For muscle spasm, baclofen, zanaflex can work better.

If you did not try those you can discuss with your doctor.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you; I have seen an ortho, because I lose my balance so much due to the weakness in my legs, I fell about 3 weeks ago and broke my foot. The ortho said that all of my symptoms appeared Neurological. I will continue to push my Neurologist for more answers.
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 6 years ago.
You are always welcome to Just Answer Website.

If ortho has ruled out bone & joint issues, then you need to be under the care of a neurologist.

If you find my answer helpful, please press the accept button so that I can be compensated for my time & work.

Best of health.
Dr .Saha and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you