Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

i have had explosive, watery diarrhea for 3 days, along with

nausea and 1 bout of...
i have had explosive, watery diarrhea for 3 days, along with nausea and 1 bout of vomiting last night. i'm eating crackers, tea, gatorade, a banana a day and things don't seem to be improving. i take synthroid for hypothyroidism so i've stayed away from pepto bismol. please advise.
6/25/2011
Dr Khan
Dr Khan, Doctor
Thank you very much for coming to this service?
Have you noticed any decrease in frequency in 3 days or is it staying the same or getting worse?
it seems to ease and then comes back after a few hours. it is better than day 1 but is still bothersome and i'm weak. also, i had arthroscopic knee surgery june 21st and have discontinued pain meds 2 days ago due to the stomach issues.
Do you have any headache,feeling of weakness,fever or abdominal cramps?
Anything tried besides what you mentioned in question,particularly any medicines?
Did you use ORS(Oral Re-hydration Solution)during this?
i do not have fever or headache. weakness is starting, mainly due to the diarrhea and loss of electolytes, not a symptom from the beginning. i have not taken any medications for this issue, only gatorade starting today. no severe cramping, just nausea.
Thank you very much for all the details and your patience.
It seems like an episode of Viral Gastro-enteritis which usually takes around 5-7 days to settle down and your symptoms are already decreasing in frequency.
You do not have any complicating symptoms like fever,abdominal pain or headache.
Weakness ,as you said is mainly due to water and electrolyte deficiency.
All you need is to take ORS regularly with plenty of fluid. Around 3lit/day would a good regimen.
No anti-biotics are needed in most as these are self limiting episodes.
You can have soft diet.
ORS is the mainstay of treatment.
If you develop any of the symptoms which i asked then you may need to make an appointment with physician.
Please feel free for any follow up query
Best Regards
If diarrhea last for more than 10 days then again physician visit is warranted
Dr Khan
Dr Khan, Doctor
Dr Khan
Dr Khan
Dr Khan, Doctor