Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have developed bleeding into the uvula on two separate

Customer Question
occasions now. The bleeding develops...
I have developed bleeding into the uvula on two separate occasions now. The bleeding develops into quite a large clot under the skin and had to be lanced to release some of the blood. My doctor has not seen it but thinks it could be vasculitis.I did go to the emerg and my clotting factors were fine and he too thinks it is some kind of autoimmune response disease and I have a very strong family history of autoimmune diseases(I did not even mention this to him at the time). Father-died of polyarteritis nodosa. Two brothers with juvenile onset diabetes and sister with severe juvenile arthritis and juvenile ulceritis colitis.
I am 52 now. Oh yes, I am allergic to the sun and have had previous positive ANA in my past. My family doctor wants me to ask the ENT doctor to do a biopsy of the area involved. Your comments are appreaciated.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
6/20/2011
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 6 years ago
the only abnormality is the bleeding into your uvula?

Yes, at this point the main issue is the bleeding into the uvula although I do have other medical problems-severe migraines with aura, MAC bronchiectasis, some painful joint issues and as I mentioned , repair of mitral valve prolapse(no artificial valve and not on blood thinners).

There are quite a few small vessels leading towards the uvula that may be more than the average person but I am not sure.

Have you seen an ear nose and throat specialist about this?
I will be seeing an ear nose and throat specialist in a few days.(for the first time)
Does you uvula look normal size and texture when this isn't happening? Why was vasculitis considered here?
my uvula is normal size and texture when this isn't happening. I think vasculits is being considered because of the family history of autoimmune disease but I am not sure. I was hoping you might be able to tell me.
Last question--can you describe exactly how this begins and how long it takes before it needs to be lanced?

On the two episodes that this happened I was eating and drinking during a meal. The first time the blood clot spontaneously ruptured. The second time I lanced it within less than 5 minutes as it was beginning to bother my speech and swallowing and seemed to be getting bigger. Perhaps it would have ruptured too, but I did not want to wait. Then I went to emerg.

The first time this happened , it took about 2 weeks for all the blood in the uvula and surrounding tissues to dissolve.I never went to the doctor after the first episode.

This time I am on prednisone so I don't know if this will hurry the process of healing. So far there is still a lot of blood to the right of the uvula on the soft palate just beside the uvula and some blood in the uvula with a large white area where the area was lanced as this is just the injured tissue. It is still painful but not severe.

this is only the uvula and not the surrounding tissue that's initially involved?
Family Physician, Doctor