Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can shingles or herpes zoster spread to internal organs

Customer Question
and/or cause blindness?...
Can shingles or herpes zoster spread to internal organs and/or cause blindness?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
6/20/2011
Doctor: Dr.David, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr.David
Dr.David, Doctor
Hello
Welcome to the just answer website.
Yes, shingles can spread to internal organs especially those who have weak immunity.It can spread to vital organs like the lungs, central nervous system, and brain & cause serious complications.
If the blisters of shingles or herpes zoster infection are on face,it may cause blindness or other eye problems such as corneal ulcers. Shingles that affects the eye may lead to permanent blindness if emergency medical care is not taken immediately.Shingles of eye is called as herpes zoster ophthalmicus.If the virus invades the cornea, it can cause ulcers and inflammation that will lead to permanent scarring & can also lead to blindness.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.
Regards-
Dr.David.
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
more details, treatments, and general info
Herpes zoster infections of the eye can lead to redness, swelling, pain, sensitivity to light, and blurred vision.Treatment for herpes zoster ophthalmicus is similar to standard treatment for herpes zoster at other sites.Oral Antivirals - Famvir, Valtrex, or Zovirax will be prescribed. Treatment for eye herpes depends on where the infection is located in the eye— in the corneal epithelium, corneal stroma, iris, retina, etc.
If the infection is affecting the cornea, another kind of eye drops called corticosteroids might also be recommended.Zirgan was approved by the FDA in late 2009 as a topical antiviral treatment for eye herpes.Lubricating eyedrops or antibiotic eye drops may aso be prescribed.So I advice you to consult your doctor for the prescription of these medications.
Regards-
Dr.David.
Can these types of drugs be ordered through this type of service(telemed)?
It would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me where I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.There is no way to get the prescription online. It is against law to prescribe medications without physically seeing & examination of patient. Hope you understand. So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for the prescription of these medications.Also please don't forget to click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.
Regards-
Dr.David.
Dr.David
Dr.David, Doctor
Dr.David
Dr.David
Dr.David, Doctor