Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

My feet are numb almost all the time and they hurt. I always

My feet are numb almost all the time and they hurt. I always have ingrown toenails which are very painful and sometimes I wonder if they could be the cause of it, although that sounds pretty lame. I can't stand even to wear socks or anything that feels binding on my toes. A foot rub hurts, but sometimes my feet feel better afterwards. I am not diabetic. I do have slightly elevated blood pressure. I take good care of my feet, but still, they hurt almost all of the time and there is always the feeling of partial numbness. I don't have corns or callouses or any sort of skin condition on my feet or toes. I get regular pedicures and the woman who does them trims my ingrown toenails, which temporarily removes the pain there until they grow out again but the top of my feet, the soles, etc., still are a combination of numbness and pain. I need knee replacements and am overweight, but the foot problem was here long before the knee problem was. I have been overweight about half my life, and this may be a contributing factor. I don't know.
Dr S.A.Alam :

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Have you seen a doctor for this problem ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

If yes what tests were done ?

Customer:

I have not seen a doctor about this. I only recently got insurance. No tests re: feet have been done. I see my doctor, but this will change since I have insurance after a long period without it, but still not eligible for medicaid, for blood pressure checks, pap smears, mamograms, bone density tests, blood glucose, etc. My father also had this numbness and pain in his feet and am not sure it was ever actually diagnosed or addressed. What tests would you recommend?

Customer:

What sort of doctor would you recommend? I just checked with my sister, and my father never did get his foot problems solved. He had more pressing issues, I guess, a pacemaker, eventually a stroke. I remember him telling me he was walking barefoot one day and he kept hearing this clicking. He looked at the bottom of his foot and there was a thumb tack, all the way up into the ball of his foot. He had not felt anything, just heard it as he walked. He didn't have callouses or corns or warts, either. His feet were soft and pink, but they hurt and were numb.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Well, i need some more information before i can give you some opinion.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Do you take alcohol ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

How much overweight you are ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

Do you get chest pains ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

Any symptoms of weakness in your legs ?

Customer:

No. Neither did my father. 60 pounds over weight. I do not have chest pains. I am a candidate for kneee replacements in both knees. I have not had this done because I have not had a way to pay for it until very recently. I have been trying to lose weight in the meantime and have lost 40 pounds.

Customer:

My father was not overweight and did not drink but had heart problems.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Does this numbness occurs all the time or there is some specific time during the day when it increases ?

Customer:

Always there, pain also, although it is not too bad if I am sitting with my feet up.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Are you taking some medicine ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

Does this problem increases when you walk ?

Customer:

Lisinopril.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Any symptoms of pain in the calf muscles while walking ?

Customer:

No, but my feet always feel sort of thick and are not real flexible around the ankle area. I walk with a cane and if I walk a lot they swell some but I can always walk - just hurts.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Any ulcers on the feet or toes ?

Customer:

No, my knees are not the best, ***** ***** know why, my calfs are fine. No problems at all with skin on feet and toes. I do have ingrown toenails on large toes.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Thank you for your replies.

Dr S.A.Alam :

You most have symptoms of peripheral neuropathy.

Dr S.A.Alam :

In this case nerves are damaged and they lead to such symptoms.

Dr S.A.Alam :

In your case sensory nerves seem to be effected and this can be due to

Dr S.A.Alam :

many causes. As you are over weight and have blood pressure issues

Dr S.A.Alam :

so most likely causes include lack of blood flow to the feet leading to damage to these nerves and kidney dysfunction.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Other causes like thyroid dysfunction should also be considered because it present with over weight and neuropathy symptoms.

Dr S.A.Alam :

your questions ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

You have questions ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

Let me know......

Dr S.A.Alam :

If you feel that your question has been answered then consider pressing the ACCEPT button to credit the assist.

Dr S.A.Alam :

You can always come back on this chat for more questions.

Dr S.A.Alam :

If you need some good reference to read then here are two that can be helpful.

Dr S.A.Alam :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peripheral-neuropathy/DS00131/DSECTION=symptoms

Dr S.A.Alam :

http://www.fpnotebook.com/Neuro/Sx/SymtrcPrphrlNrpthy.htm

Dr S.A.Alam :

Let me know if you have more questions...

Customer:

I had to leave the computer for a minute. I will check these links. The kidney damage idea is troubling. How would I have kidney damage? Should I have a thyroid test for this? I have often wondered if I have thyroid problems. My hair has thinned to 1/3 or maybe less than what it was when I was younger and losing weight is very difficult for me. I have lost up to 60 pounds in the last fifteen years or so, but it is hard to keep off and I am not a binge eater or really even an overeater. I eat enough and I eat healthy.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Yes it would be ideal to get these tests...

Dr S.A.Alam :

kidney damage can occur if you have high blood pressure.

Customer:

I didn't know that.

Customer:

And it could cause peripheral neuopathy?

Customer:

That is a big help. Thank you.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Symptoms of hair thinning and weight gain also favor hypothyroidism.

Dr S.A.Alam :

You are welcome.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Customer:

Have a good day and thank you for your help. I will.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Consider pressing the ACCEPt button

Dr S.A.Alam :

Thank you.