Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have a dark purple almost black spot on the bottom of my

I have a dark purple almost black spot on the bottom of my foot (sort of on the ball of my foot). I noticed it about 2 weeks ago - it was a day after I had been in heels and on my feet all day. Any idea what this could be?
Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 6 years ago.

What is your age?

How big is the spot?

Are the edges of the spot defined or do they fade out?

Any itching or pain in the area?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm 39 - I guess it's about a quarter of an inch long - the edges sort of fade out and there is no itching or pain.

Thanks

This is most likely a new mole.

Many people keep on developing new moles till their forties or fifties. Moles itself are not a danger, but any new moles should be treated with suspicion because of the risk that they are melanomas, a highly cancerous lesion.

Hence it is recommended that all new moles should be checked up by a doctor.

You should consult your doctor and have this checked up to be on the safe side.

If it was a bruise, there would have been a gradual change of color over two weeks from black to brown to blue to green, etc. so a bruise seems unlikely. It might also be a condition known as seborrheic keratosis.

You should consult your doctor and discuss about these conditions: moles, bruise, seborrheic keratosis and melanomas.

You can read up here:
http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/problems/medical/new-moles-cancer.htm

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok - thank you for your feedback. Is it possible that it could be similar to a blood blister also? (after it has popped though - b/c it is flat) I thought it developed possibly b/c I had been on my feet for the whole day...the day before I noticed it and I was wearing high heels - so there was a lot of pressure on the ball of my foot.

What is - seborrheic keratosis? I can google it too - if you don't want to explain.

Thanks for your help!

it might be a blood blister, which is what I meant by a bruise. I have considered the possibility but as I said, it seems unlikely because a blood blister or a bruise would have changed color by now. But it is a possibility that you should discuss with your doctor.

Seborrheic keratosis is a benign growth of the skin which is often confused with moles, they present no danger but you may want to get them removed for cosmetic reasons. They develop with increasing age. In the beginning they may appear as flat brown/black spots but gradually present a raised 'barnacle' type appearance. They are much less likely on the heel, but this is another possibility to discuss with your doctor.

You can look up these sites:
http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/seborrheic_keratos.html
http://www.aad.org/public/Publications/pamphlets/SeborrheicKeratoses.htm

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks...I appreciate it!