DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

can bacterial vaginosis cause extreme abdominal pain?

Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
Hello
Severe abdominal pain is more likely pelvic inflammatory disease, or another abdominal problem although and infection can cause some pain.
But it might be another organism than usually causes vaginosis and this is more likely to be pelvic inflammatory disease
If you are one metronidizole and things are not clearly better in 3 to 7 days then you need to question the treatment.

However, hopefully they tested you or at least saw typical cells under the microscope that would indicate vaginosis.

I would suggest that if the pain continues at this level of severaty that you need a pelvic utlrasound/abdominal ultrasound and would go to the ER for that, as well as full cevical swabs and cultures
good luck

You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The ER thought it was appendicitis at first. I had a CAT scan and everything looked good. He did a pelvic exam and only conclusion was an infection. I was diagnosed with PID in my early 20's but was told I "grew out of it" with treatment. Does that ever go away? And is my guy at risk of something or can he keep that disease and hurt us both more? Can I keep hurting us?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
YOu don't grow out of PID, it is treated, but you can catch it again
The flagyl is not a wide spectrum antibiotic.
So I would suggest that you call your OB
Vaginosis is not typically going to hurt your partner and whether or not men ever carry the bugs that cause vaginosis is debatable.
good luck again
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One last question... Is it true that PID leads to cervical cancer? I know I'm off topic, however, I'm wondering if these are signs of massive trouble in girl's world.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
No but it can lead to infertility and this is the main concern.
Cervical cancer is a result of papilloma virus infection, which would be detected on pap smear
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So this could be an STD causing this problem with me?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
Possibly
Chlamydia is notorious for PID
But that is if you have PID and you don't know that and I would assume the doctor tested you for this, if not you need to go back

Please accept to continue: You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanx for your time. I would love to chat on a different note...But...