Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have fluttering in the upper stomach area

Customer Question
I have had this fluttering...

I have had this fluttering in the upper stomach area right in the middle of my stomach right below my breast but right in the top middle of my stomach ,,It is just like a fluttering or twitching feeling..It usually comes on when I am sitting down,I feel it when I cough also I have been feeling this for about 3 weeks now It scares me when I feel it just because it feels like a quiver or something...I don't feel it when I exercise just don't know how I should handle this...

Already Tried:
Please help me to understand what the flutter sensation I am feeling in the middle of my stomach right under my breast area my right on the top middle of my stomach..I feel this when I am sitting mostly when I cough sometimes when I don't..It is like a flutter feeling or quiver feeling

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/19/2011
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 6 years ago
Do the muscles of the abdominal wall actually twitch or flutter?
It is right in the top middle of my stomach it feels like a flutter sometimes I just comes on when I am sitting other times when I cough... If I hold my hand in that area sometimes I can feel the flutter it kinda feels like a butterfly feeling or quirver feeling
OK. This is probably nothing serious. It could be a gas problem from irritable bowel syndrome. Without pain, it's not likely to be a gall bladder or pancreatic condition. If it's actually the muscles of the abdominal wall, it could possibly be a sign of a neurologic condition like ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) or multiple sclerosis, or a sign of thyroid problems, potassium deficiency, or vitamin deficiency. The best thing to do is have a doctor examine you and decide if blood work and an abdominal ct are in order.
I have an appointment Monday 23rd do you think it is ok for me to wait. I had a full CBC back in October and all results were fine..I was just thinking this could be my heart..Do you think it is more like gas or reflex maybe Why would you think Lou Gehrigs disease?
It can wait, and this just doesn't sound like your heart. ALS is a problem with the spinal cord and it's nerve cells that can cause muscle twitching. It's the same disease the famous physicist Stephen Hawking has. I don't really think you have that, but I needed to mention it as a possible cause of muscle twitching.
Great one more thing when I excerise or jump sometimes I notice the feeling more when I sit down and cough........could that be just gases in my stomach causing this if I shake my stomach and then cough I notice this feeling too...like a burp kinda feeling
that could definitely be the case.
Great how can I me for sure these are just gases is there any way to know?Why do you think it just started happening do you think it is something I may be eating? that is causing this? Just the last thing then I will be done...why when I cough does this feeling happend ? sometimes it happens when I dont cough
Irritable bowel syndrome can hit at any time for no real reason. After the blood work and ct, if that's all normal, a gastroenterologist could scope you to see if this is gastritis or an ulcer problem, and, if not, treat you for IBS. The important thing is to have a doctor decide if this is an intestinal versus an abdominal wall muscle problem.
Thank you for your time I appreciate it
Let me know how it goes.
Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor