Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What is a polyps in the uterus and is it dangerous

Customer Question
what is a polyps in the uterus and is it dangerous
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
5/11/2011
Doctor: Ken, Postgraduate doctor replied 6 years ago
Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
I can understand your anxiety.
Uterine polyps are bulb like growths attached to inner wall of the uterus {endometrium} and these protrude into the uterine cavity. The size of uterine polyp may range from a few millimeters to several centimeters. You can have one or many uterine polyps. The main symptom is irregular and excessive bleeding. Bleeding may lead to multiple complications. The exact cause of uterine polyps is unknown however hormonal factors appear to play a role.
Ultrasound/ scopy/ curettage help in diagnosis. Small polyps may not need any treatment. Certain hormonal medications, including progestins and gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists, may shrink a uterine polyp and lessen symptoms. Curettage/ surgery or hysterectomy are the other ways to get rid of them.
Having said this - The symptoms with which poly presents are similar to cancer hence evaluation is needed. Fewer than 1% of all uterine polyps are associated with cancer.
Wish you well. God bless
Ken
Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor