Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I HAVE A BLOOD CLOT NEAR INSIDE OF ELBOW. THERE IS SWELLING

Customer Question
AND PAIN. POSSIBLE CAUSE...BEING HIT...
I HAVE A BLOOD CLOT NEAR INSIDE OF ELBOW. THERE IS SWELLING AND PAIN.
POSSIBLE CAUSE...BEING HIT WITH RUBBER HAMMER FOR NERVE TEST.
WHAT WOULD TREATMENT BE?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
5/7/2011
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
DocPhil213 :

Hello. My goal is to help you find an answer!

DocPhil213 :

How do you know there is a clot? Did you have an ultrasound?

JACUSTOMER-y2aat09v- :

dR TOLD ME

JACUSTOMER-y2aat09v- :

NO ULTRASOUND OR SCAN

JACUSTOMER-y2aat09v- :

JUST LARGE LUMP, BRUISING TODAY OVER ENTIRE ARM

JACUSTOMER-y2aat09v- :

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT BREAKING OFF AND TRAVELING.

JACUSTOMER-y2aat09v- :

NO REPLY AND NOT SURE IF SHOULD WAIT

Customer:

WAITED AND NO ANSWER. JUST QUESTIONS I REPLIED TO. IF THIS IS ALL, WILL REQUEST A REFUND.

Doctor: Dr. Cameron, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Hi
I am sorry. The other expert must have had computer problems. At any rate, you need to have an ultrasound to diagnose any blood clots in your arm. You are correct, there is a concern for blood clots to break off and travel- these are DEEP vein thrombosis. They do cause arm swelling and pain and the treatment is anticoagulation. That being said, you can get superficial blood clots- these can also cause swelling and pain, but they cause more localised swelling, not diffuse swelling as in deep vein. These do not require any anticoagulation. If it is thought to be from getting hit by a rubber hammer, then it is likely a superficial thombosis and will just resolve over time. If your whole arm is swollen, particularly the forearm, then it would be more likely a deep vein- and this needs an ultrasound.

I hope that this helps.

warm regards
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor