Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What is the term effects of this condition? My sternum never

Customer Question
What is the long term...
What is the long term effects of this condition? My sternum never healed. I have had this condition for 31 years. i injuried my sternum in the military.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
5/5/2011
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
DocPhil213 :

Hello. My goal is to help you find an answer!

DocPhil213 :

What exactly is your condition/symptoms?

Customer:

Costochondritis, what is the long term effects?

DocPhil213 :

Well, there are no long term effects per se. Simply the fact that you have to live with pain.

DocPhil213 :

But, have you exhausted all treatment options? What have you tried?

DocPhil213 :

But, if you mean will it affect other parts of your body the answer is no.

Customer:

IMy ribs do not stay in my spine, and i have to have them put back in by a Doctor.

Customer:

What is my MMI?

DocPhil213 :

I see. Well, if you are referring to costochondritis, there are no long effects. What is MMI?

Customer:

Maxium medcial improvement

DocPhil213 :

I'm not sure what you are referring to by that. I have never heard that term. But, patients with costochondritis have many treatment option.

DocPhil213 :

have to run for a few. will get back to you.

Customer:

My ribs will not stay in my spine, I have to place my sternum back into place, also when this accures.

Customer:

I also have a burning feeling in my Back mid way up.

Customer:

When i place my sternum back into place, it is a crushing sound with a lot of pain

Customer:

This also keeps me from my day to day Functions, Work,Projects,Home life, and more!

Customer:

The only time it feels good is went i'm laying flat on my back!

Customer:

Moblity is also limited, unable to set for a period of time and stand for a period of time.

DocPhil213 :

What treatment have you tried?

Customer:

Pain medication is all anybody can give for treatment.

DocPhil213 :

What about physical therapy? Steroid injections?

Customer:

I have been seeing Physical, i have see a Orthopedic and a heart Doctor to give me an idea on how to fix, Wiring my chest is not an recommended. I even ask for them to put a metal plate in, with a negitive result.

DocPhil213 :

What about a pain specialist or a physical medicine doc?

Customer:

I am going thru the VA and that is all they do, I take 2400 to 3000 mg of Pain relief a Day along with heart medication. My heart is not staying in beat properly since last November, 2010

DocPhil213 :

I would try to see a physical medicine doctor or a pain specialist. They may be able to do some different techniques like steroid injection, ultrasound, etc.

Customer:

I will ask for this treatment again, they told me that it probly would not work since i have had that treatment before

DocPhil213 :

You should see one of the above specialists though as they may have something new to offer.

Customer:

I was just trying to find out what other problems can accure from this Broken chest, Im at the end of trying to feel better, Thanks for your time.

DocPhil213 :

You are welcome. It does sound like costochondritis which is difficult to treat, but the above specialists may be able to offer new treatments.

Customer:

I do not thinks there is alot of information out there about this condition

DocPhil213 :

I will provide a link. Hang on.

Customer:

I am not feeling better about getting older with this condition, or should i say getting younger Ha Ha!

Customer:

Thanks for the site.

DocPhil213 :

Lol. Well, at least you have a sense of humor about it. I hope you get better. PK

DocPhil213 :

Don't forget positive feedback....:)

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** is there to do.

DocPhil213 :

Thats a good way to look at it. Take care. PK

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Relist: Other.
The answer were to Vauge,I needed A Doctor in Orthopedic feild to anwser>
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor