Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Should a person with newly diagnosed shingles go to

work....how is the disease passed?...
should a person with newly diagnosed shingles go to work....how is the disease passed?
5/2/2011
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
DocPhil213 :

Hello. My goal is to help you find an answer!

DocPhil213 :

What do the lesions look like? HAve your grand kids had chickenpox vaccine?

DocPhil213 :

Also, where are the lesions?

DocPhil213 :

And where does he work?

Customer:

the lesions have not blistered yet...they are red and blotchy....the lesions are on his loer back and abdomen and in the genital area...he works in an office enviroment with other financial advisosrs...he has his own office....I am in the process of finding out if the children have been vaccinated

DocPhil213 :

Okay, he can return to work when he feels well as long as the area is covered. The grand kids should not be around him if they have not been vaccinated. And be sure they don't touch the rash.

Customer:

I am uderstanding that the only way to pass the disease on is by direct contact?

DocPhil213 :

There are some rare case reports where the virus was passed just being around someone with shingles. If they have not had vaccine, I wouldn't risk it. Is there anywhere else they can go if not vaccinated until lesions crust over?

DocPhil213 :

Hello? You there?

Customer:

yes that can be arranged....we also have a very big house so he can be kept separate from the children but I caan move them out if you think that woud be best...Wha about me...Am I safe from the disease?

DocPhil213 :

Have you had chickenpox?

Customer:

Yes

DocPhil213 :

You are fine. You may be okay moving them to separate part of house. It is still a small risk though. I think you understand that.

DocPhil213 :

Any more questions?

Customer:

If I find out they have been vaccinated will they be alright to stay here?

DocPhil213 :

Yes

DocPhil213 :

most kids these days have been. if they have regular doc visits and get their shots they should be okay. how old are they?

DocPhil213 :

hello?

Customer:

yes I am here

DocPhil213 :

any more questions?

Customer:

I am here ...we seem to have some difficulty with the site

DocPhil213 :

Any more questions?

Customer:

No thank you for your help.

DocPhil213 :

Okay. You are welcome. Don't forget positive feedback after accepting...:)

Customer:

okay

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor