TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
13956133

I asked u earlier about cold sore. I could not get in touch

Hi Dr I asked u earlier about cold sore. I could not get in touch wit My family Dr so I ran over too the 24 hr family clinic and I got Valtrex. I just took 2 pills. My question if its not a cold sore will it hurt me. clinic Dr said looks like it could be start of one also. 2nd question I have a high epstien barr titer when my blood is taken will this doing anything to my epstien barr titer..ty
Category: Medical
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I just read through your last question.

If your lip lesion is not herpes, the Valtrex would not be harmful- it just would not be very helpful. But there is no harm in taking it.

The Valtrex will not likely do much with the EBV- It is unlikely that the EBV is related to a lip cold sore, and while Valtrex does have activity for EBV, it has not been shown to have any benefit as far as treatment of mono- or other EBV related symptoms.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one last thing I took the valtrex about an hour ago I am do to take my penicillen when can i take it forgot to ask the clinic Dr

You can take penicillin any time- like right now, if it is the scheduled time.

There is no interaction between these two medications.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did not realize you were not Dr abby she answered my question before thats fine I will accept let me just ask u based on your experience. I do not have a blister yet it going on 30hrs since the symptoms started. Do you think with the combination of the zovirex and the valtrex I will still get a blister...and ty I will accept

If you take the Valtrex, it may abort the formation of a blister.

Or it may make a smaller one than had you not taken Valtrex.