Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Why would I have hemosiderin laden macrophage in lung. This

was found after severe ongoing...
Why would I have hemosiderin laden macrophage in lung. This was found after severe ongoing stabbing pain thought to be pluerisy. I also am seeing specialists for dx for possible systemic disease. Have had necrotizing Granulomatous found in cervical nodes during biopsy
4/28/2011

Greetings.

Hemosiderin laden macrophage can be found due to;

1) auto immune mediated disease; these have systemic involvement.

2) diffuse interstitial pulmonary diseases

3) diffuse pulmonary hemorrhage syndromes.

4) hyperparathyroidism.

All of these are non cancerous conditions.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun

Thank you and lastly is "abundant hemosiderin-laden macrophage" (as said on pathology report) a actual pulmonary hemorrhage and will it get worse?

You are very welcome.

Usually this is microscopic leak. This can be one time episode also. This may not worsen.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor