DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD
8742629

My rectum area gets itchy and the skin feels raw and

My rectum area gets itchy and the skin feels raw and slightly bleads when wiping myself clean as there are splits in the skin that won't heal and are very painful, especially as I make a bowel motion which stretches the anus open. I have a small skin tag there which may be the source of the split skin but a doctor has checked and told me it is not an anal fissure. I was prescribed Proctosedyl Ointment but as this has a steroid in it I wonder if that is what has 'damaged' my skin, preventing it healing? My doctor says the cream is ok to use frequently as it has a low dose of steroid but I feel that this is preventing the splits in the outer skin from healing. My Pharmacist said to use a zinc oxide cream such as is used for babies nappy rash but that didn't help either. This has been going on for months now - can you help?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 6 years ago.
DR. AM. MD. :

Did you doctor noticed any cut or tear in that region?

DR. AM. MD. :

Do you suffer from constipation or diarrhea?

Customer:

no cut or tear just slight splits. The bleeding is more of a slight seeping rather than free flow blood and is prevelent when wiping as skin is very very tender

DR. AM. MD. :

Do you have any Sharp, stinging or burning pain during and following a bowel movement.

Customer:

no motion is fine just stibg sensation from tender skin being stretched and if i use wet wipes then stings where slight splits in skin are. It is these splits that I cant get to heal

DR. AM. MD. :

You can use cream prescribed by your doctor.

DR. AM. MD. :

This helps to relieve discomfort

DR. AM. MD. :

More over you can use zinc oxide also.

DR. AM. MD. :

You have to keep area clean and dry.

Customer:

but that cream is primarily to stop itching - which it does very well - but it does nothing to heal splits in skin and indeed I feel actually prevents healing of open wound. Correct me if I am wrong here but the presence of a steroid will curtail open wound healing?

Customer:

the baby zinc oxide cream did nothing to encourage healing

DR. AM. MD. :

Soaking in warm water for 10 to 20 minutes several times a day helps.

DR. AM. MD. :

This is known as Sitz baths

Customer:

i am aware bath helps and endeavour to try but can't when away for long day at work and in a sitting position where are gets sweaty and does not stay dry

Customer:

is there no medication to encourage the healing of the split skin?

DR. AM. MD. :

Healing will take place own it own you can apply medication to prevent infection .

DR. AM. MD. :

There are antiseptic cream.

DR. AM. MD. :

Hydrocortisone serves as an anti-inflamatory, that is why it's usually used on areas that are red and itchy.

Customer:

i have recently being using antiseptic cream as u suggest. So basically try the baths and give it time?

Customer:

Ahh - the area does not appear red and inflamed. Hence I wondered if Hydrocortisone was preventing the healing?

DR. AM. MD. :

yes

If you have constyipation or diarrgea treat that as well.

Customer:

neither - motions are ok

DR. AM. MD. :

You need to stick to simple diet

DR. AM. MD. :

NO spicy food

Customer:

yes - am aware that that increases pain in the area.

DR. AM. MD. :

Avoid straining during bowel movements.

Customer:

ok will give it time

DR. AM. MD. :

I hope this helped

DR. AM. MD. :

Please do ACCEPT answer before you leave.

DR. AM. MD. :

Please do leave POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS if possible.

DR. AM. MD. :

Thanks

Customer:

well u have confirmed what I kinda new . Guess I was seeking a 'miricle' cream to heal the splits!

DR. AM. MD. :

Get well soon

DR. AM. MD. :

NO NEED TO APPLY ANYTHING MORE.

DR. AM. MD. :

Body will heal own it own.

DR. AM. MD. :

You need to avoid infection.

DR. AM. MD. :

Keeping area clean and dry and wearing loose cotton clothes is important.

DR. AM. MD. :

Thanks