DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have indigestion that tastes like soap. what could be the

I have indigestion that tastes like soap. what could be the cause?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
Hello
Any medications?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
none at this time. i experienced this 2 weeks ago and then again this evening. i have a diagnosed gluten intolerance (awaiting further testing for celiac disease) otherwise in excellent health.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
no gallbladder problems
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

not that i know of. no abdominal pain. i was in the ER a few weeks ago due to severe abdominal pain related to a large amount of bowel (probably celiac related)

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
Are you using fluoride?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes. just checked the toothpaste .15%

(my earlier response, i was implying that in the ER they did an mri with contrast and my gall bladder was normal)

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
OK
Stop the fluoride as a build up of this can give a soapy taste.
On the other hand you describe this as indigestion
tell me about that
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

first, i NEVER get indigestion. ever. but 2 weeks ago i had breakfast and then my stomach felt very full and then i was burping for a while with indigestion. just went out to dinner and have the same effects as 2 weeks ago.

when i burp i get this soap taste in my mouth.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
OK
So this needs an h pylori breath test to make sure you do not have the ulcer bug.

If so it needs to be treated.

Acid reflux is very possible...as is not enough acid...a trial of proton pump inhibitor therapy would clarify this if thinking get a lot better.
Often however with age acid secretion actually decreases, but in your case you are young so I would suspect gastritis and/or reflux.

This and hold the fluoride
good luck
let me know if you have further questions

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i just realized the onlyone thing in common between both occurances was i drank a hard cider tonight a few the night before the other occurance.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
More consistent with acid reflux.....and ulcer...