Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I recently had a urine dip stick test - URISPEC 11-WAY in my

I recently had a urine...
I recently had a urine dip stick test - URISPEC 11-WAY in my gynecologist's office. It is a quick color-based analysis of 11 aspects of the urine (e.g. leucocytes, glucose, PH, ascorbic acid, etc). Nine of the results were "Negative."
The tenth test showed that my urine PH was a neutral "7." But my ascorbic acid score (eleventh test) was a "++," the highest level on a 3-point scale including " Neg" and "+" and "++." This seems contradictory. Why isn't the PH high if I have a high ascorbic acid reading?
Also, is this high ascorbic acid harmful? Could it cause the burning that brought me to the doctor's in the first place?
Thanks, Diane
4/13/2011
HouseDoc
HouseDoc, Attending Physician
Dr. Amit M. Shelat : Are you on any vitamin supplements?
Customer:

Yes. I take a Multi-vitamin without iron that, by the way, includes 60 mg of Vitamin C. I also take: "Ester C" - 1000mg, Vitamin D - 3600 IU, Vitamin E - 800 IU, Calcium - 1600 mg, Magnesium - 475 mg, Omega 3's - 2560 mg. I take all of these under my doctor's supervision for a variety of conditions.

Customer:

I understand that ascorbic acid is Vitamin C. (Aftert a recent oral surgery, the doctor told me that my tissues were particularly thin and fragile and suggested I start daily Vitamin C - 1000mg.)

Customer:

I suspect you are asking me about the supplements because the ascorbic acid in my urine may be a result of taking Vitamin C. In any case, wouldn't a high ascorbic acid presence in my urine cause the urine PH to be high? It seems counter-intuitive that my PH would be normal and my ascorbic acid high.

Customer:

Finally, is this high ascorbic acid level harmful and could it be the cause of the urinary burning I have been experiencing?

Dr. Amit M. Shelat : No it's not harmful. Ascorbic acid level in urine may interfere with the results ending up giving false negative results. One can eliminate this problem by using Combiscreen plus strips.
Dr. Amit M. Shelat : It could cause burning but as I said ascorbic acid levels in urine can give false negative results.
Customer:

What is a combiscreen plus strip? Finally, would you answer my other question: Wouldn't a high ascorbic acid presence in my urine cause the urine PH to be high? It seems counter-intuitive that my PH would be normal and my ascorbic acid high.

Dr. Amit M. Shelat : Yes presence of high ascorbic acid can cause urine's pH acidic. Combi screen plus urine strips are Urine tests strips which are ascorbic acid protected.
Dr. Amit M. Shelat : Ascorbic acid, better known as Vitamin C, is being ingested mainly through food and nutritional supplements. Most of it is excreted unaltered in the urine again. For this reason a high percentage of the population shows a clearly increased Ascorbic acid level in the urine.This results in lowered or even false negative results of the blood and glucose pads with many urine test strips on the market. Therefore diagnostic or therapeutic actions may be taken too late.’ Combi-Screen PLUS test strip offers a considerable higher reliability due to its integrated ascorbic acid protection system. 
HouseDoc
HouseDoc, Attending Physician
HouseDoc
HouseDoc
HouseDoc, Attending Physician