Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm getting an intermittent pain on my ankle - VERY sharp -

Customer Question
hey!
I'm getting an intermittent pain...
hey!
I'm getting an intermittent pain on my ankle - VERY sharp - like a strong sting - very localised - surface - just above my ankle bone - lasts for 50-60 seconds comes on randomly, often when I'm resting - it's happened about 10 times today - have had it a few times in the past couple of months but not nearly as often as in past 24 hours.
I'm 63, fit and active (I cycle and run)
what's that about??
Norah
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
Expert: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Hi Norah. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Do you feel any numbness or tingling (pins and needles)?

Q. Do you have any discolouration over this area?

Q. Any other medical conditions previously diagnosed?

Q. Is it towards the inside or the outside of the ankle bone?
no numbness / tingling
yes, does looks slighly bruised
no other problems
outside bone
Any itchiness there?
no
Q. Does the pain radiate to the foot like a sharp stabbing feeling?
the stabbing pain is just in that one small spot. When it eases off it feels slighly achy up my leg - but only slightly
Thanks for the details.

This might be related to stress on the ankle. Or a trauma that you might have suffered from and gone unnoticed since there is a bruise present there.
However, stress on a joint or a bone can occur in your age group due to weak bones owing to decreased calcium in the bones.
You should give the ankle rest, put an ankle brace on it or a soft crepe bandage.
Apply Ibuprofen gel (Motrin, Advil or Brufen) on the area thrice daily.
If the pain becomes worse then you should take an anti inflammatory like Motrin 800 mg thrice daily.
Try to avoid putting weight on the affected foot.
However, if the pain continues you should consult your PCP for an x ray and discuss with him possibility of an impinged nerve.
Hope this helps.
Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist.
A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated.

Best.
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

• Get a Professional AnswerVia email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.