How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. RK Your Own Question
Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2885
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. RK is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good Day, I have a question relating to heart rythms. I am

Resolved Question:

Good Day, I have a question relating to heart rythms. I am a 29 year old male, farely fit, i jog 4 km every monring and have been doing so for the last 10 weeks, i weigh 83 kg at a height of around 176cm. I have some what of an irregular heart rythm,

I was refered to a cardioligst about 2 years back regarding the irregular heart rythms. The cardioligist said i must stop taking stimulants. I use to drink coffee and smoke. I stopped drinking coffee, but still smoke, not as much, and trying to quite! In the past i use to feel anxious and felt like i lost connection with the world, which lead to me checking my pulse.

Recently i have been checking my heart rate per minute, to track my fitness level and found that i still have irregular heart bearts!
I will have 3 quick consecutive beats then a resting period then 5 quick consecutive beats and a resting period. The consecutive beats vary between 3 and 7 with resting periods in between. Oh this is only when i have a resting heart rate. When i exercise it seems normal.

Im not sure if i should waste my money and time visiting a specialist again, or if its a serious matter. Ive read up on the types of arrythmia, but not sure where i fall regarding the types.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 6 years ago.
Dear customer,

did you have the ekg done?
do you take any drugs?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes i had and 24 hour ekg done, by drugs do you mean medicinal drugs or recreational drugs.....? If recreational, i have in the past and have recently, two weeks back taken some cocaine but its not something i do normally.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 6 years ago.
Dear customer,

The heart arrythmias may be caused by stress, thyroid abnormality, structural abnormality, electrolyte imbalance, drug abuse, smoking, diabetes, after heart attack, etc.

You should definitely stop the cardiac stimulants like cocaine, theophylline, nicotine etc which may trigger the heart arythmia.

The EKG as you said should be seen by cardiologist to know the type of heart arrythmia.The anti-arrythmic cardiac drugs are available like digoxin, amiodarone, verampamil etc.

The choice of drug is according to underlying condition and is to be decided by cardologist.

You should also periodically check your bp and maintain normal serum electrolyte levels.

here is the link for more information

causes and treatment of heart arrhythmias

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have also recently had my blood pressure checked, my sugar levels ext, and it was 100% if i stopped smoking will the arrythmia discontinue, and is arrythmia as explained to you, life threatning. The recreational drugs was a once off, so im not to concrened about that. Smoking which i have already tried quiting 4 times in the last year with a sucess of only 3 months is anohter issue.

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 6 years ago.
Dear customer,

First thing you should avoid factors which might be the cause of such srrythmia like smoking and use of recreational drugs.

If it continues even after stopping such factors then you should consult the cardiologist to rule out any structural abnormality.The ekg, 2d echo of heart may help in knowing the underlying abnormality.

The arythmia may sometimes result in heart failure and in that case become life threatening.

So its better that you get it treated on time by the use of medicines after consulting your doctor.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you
Dr. RK and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you