Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I had a blood test for HSV 2 IgG and HSV IgM I/II

Customer Question
combination. The results were as...
I had a blood test for HSV 2 IgG and HSV IgM I/II combination. The results were as followed:
HSV 2 IgG less than 0.91 (Negative)
HSV IgM I/II combination 1.02 (equivocal)
MY question is, do I have genital herpes 2? Based on what I am reading, the IgM test cannot determine what type of herpes you have, just that it is an active infection. I also understand that IgG stays in your body forever. If I had the virus in my body for a long time, but just recently had my first very minor syptoms (tiny brown, NON painful pimple in my vaginal area), shouldn't my IgG be positive. If I got it from my longtime boyfriend shouldn't he test positive for IgG? What if he is negative? Should I be tested again in 3 months. Maybe I haven't developed IgG antibodies yet?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
3/19/2011
Doctor: Dr.Sawhney, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Hello

The test results do not mean that you have herpes 2.Even the IgM test is equivocal and not positive and therefore you cannot said to have active infection with either type 1 or type 2 herpes.
If you have been in a long term monogamous relationship with your boyfriend and your boyfriend too has been monogamous with you then you do not have type 2 herpes.
If your boyfriend also tests negative for IgG you do not have herpes type 2.
If there has been any break in monogamity on either side you should test again after 3 months.
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
I asked a question this morning and have an additional question on the same subject.
I presented to my doctor on 3/15 with chief complaint: vaginal pressure/pain. No h/a, fever, discharge, swollen lymph nodes or burning on urination. The only other s/s I had was that I noted four very tiny purple/brown spots on my vaginal area. I requested a HSV 2 blood test and she ordered a transvaginal US, which came back normal. She placed me on Valtrex. The results came back as followed:
HSV 2 IgG less than 0.91 (negative)
HSV 2 IgM 1.02 (equivocal)
I was immediately told I had genital herpes. I was VERY upset. My understanding is that the IgM test by itself is more or less useless as it cannot distinquish between type I or type II. My IgG was negative, but I understand that it can take time for those antibodies to elevate if it is a new infection. My questions are the following:
1. How long should I wait to be retested for IgG? I know that the viruses look very similiar at that it is sometimes yields false positive results. I had the test done by Labcorp and it does not appear it was done via ELISA or Western blot. Do you know what lab does it by ELISA or Western blot. I don't care how much it cost as I just want an accurate test result.
2. For the past 10 years I have suffered with very painful cysts/pimples on my buttocks. They last for years! I have been to at least 10 dermatologist/plastic surgeons and have only come up with one dx of pyoderma. Would you recommend a punch bx? I have tried Altabax, Diflorasone and Biafine with duoderm patches with little or no results. IF these cysts/lesions were herpes, I would think that I would have a positive IgG result...correct?
3. My longtime boyfriend of 14 years has never had a herpes lesion. I am assuming he can be a carrier of it. He has already made an appt to be testing.
4. Last question: If you are exposed to someone who has it, would you immediately get it yourself or can you be exposed and then it takes years for you to get an outbreak? I did have one other sexual partner when my boyfriend and I broke up for a while, but that was over two years ago. So, he of course thinks it was from that relationship. But again, I am confused as that was over two years ago. Again, could it lay dormant for two years after an exposure? Based on the above results, would YOU have told your patient that they have genital herpes. I personally (being a nurse) feel it was a little inappropriate. I would have at least recommended another test at a later date before I made that call. What do you think?
Hello

1.Time for development of IgG antibodies can range from 3- 6 weeks and therefore it would be better to wait at least 6 weeks before retesting for IgG2.
I cannot tell whether it is ELISA or western Blot test.

2.If the lesions on buttocks were herpes your IgG would be positive but this can either be for type 1 or type 2 .

3.He can be a carrier

4.If you had been exposed to type 2 herpes at that time you would have positive IgG2 antibodies.An infection 2 years old would not present with a positive IgM and a negative IgG2

See link below

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1744703/pdf/v079p00276.pdf
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor