Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

What could cause chronic inflammation of the duodenum as

What could cause chronic inflammation of the duodenum as found through endoscopic examination biopsies? I am having intermittent diarrhoea, mucus and occasionally small amts of blood in stool, pain, gas and bloating.
It sounds to me that you have two separate problems. First chronic inflammation of the duodenum can be caused either by hyperacidity or any bacteria called H. pylori. Also bile can less commonly cause chronic irritation. If your doctor has not already done so you should be tested for H. pylori by blood test or biopsy. In the meantime you may try Prilosec OTC which will reduce the inflammation if it is due to hyper acidity. The intermittent diarrhea and mucus is most likely coming from irritable bowel syndrome with the symptoms of pain gas and bloating. The blood is most likely coming from an irritation of the rectum by the diarrhea. However even at your young age you should have an examination to make certain there are no other causes of the bleeding.
*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Tested for H. pylori which were negative. He put me on Nexium tablets - proton pump inhibitors for hyperacidity. I asked about IBS and he said that is mainly psychological and that it could be Crohn's

The. Nexium is similar to Prilosec and should help you. You would need a colonoscopy to make the diagnosis of Crohn's disease which is a possibility but that will usually cause either pain in the right lower quadrant or bloody diarrhea if you have Crohn's colitis.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
lt;p>Relist: Answer quality.</p>
you received a perfectly good answer from someone who is qualified to answer this question the. what is the reason for relisting?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It contradicted what my doctor said regarding the Crohn's and IBS and I just wanted another opinion. I have to get colonoscopy done but can't at the moment cause I'm breastfeeding and the prep will affect my milk supply.

I get severe abdominal pain accompanied by diarrhea with a lot of mucus and spots of dark red blood at least twice a week, which doesn't appear to be related to food. I seem to have almost constant dull ache in left lower abdomen. When I get my period I bleed bright red blood from my anus as well (I know this cause I wear tampons which don't leak) My mum has celiac's and my grandmother died of bowel cancer. I'm just worried, sorry I didn't mean to offend you

Even if with the advice deferred from your doctors that should not cause you to re list had not accept for the time spent. doctors may disagree and I clearly suggested that you have a colonoscopy which would exclude Crohn's disease.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Fine, but you didn't take into account the ext
OK. What is ext?