Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a clear water like liquid coming out of my ear, I have

Customer Question
no pain and have had...
I have a clear water like liquid coming out of my ear, i have no pain and have had no head trauma. I must say i had a tube placed in my ear almost 12 years ago. Again I have no pain at all. Only notice it when I sleep on one side and turn over to sleep on the other side.
Thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
3/3/2011
Doctor: Dr. Cameron, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Hi
WHat you have is otorrhea. This is when fluid leaks out of the ear. Usually it is caused from trauma, but not always. The issue is that you are at high risk for infection because it implies a perforated tympanic membrane. You need to see a doctor asap for this- you need your ear checked and likely started on antibiotics to prevent infection. Alternately there could be some irritation in your external ear canal causing this, but you need to be investigated for a perforated membrane..
http://pedclerk.bsd.uchicago.edu/otorrhea.html
warm regards
is there anything else I can help you with? I noted that you looked at the answer and did not accept. was it unclear?
A little. I'm confused as to what could have caused it, if intact it was not a head trauma. It like just happened. Is it common to have an ear infection and experience no pain? I plan to visit the doctor tomorrow as a walk in but was hoping i could have a better knowledge before going as to what could wrong.
Would you mind accepting my answer before we proceed? You have a very poor accept ratio and I don't want to write a long explanation for someone who has no intention of paying. I gave you a very succinct answer before.
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor