Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What causes the hands shaking when holding a plate or any

Customer Question
object?...
What causes the hands shaking when holding a plate or any object?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
3/3/2011
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 years ago

This is very likely to be Essential tremor (ET). The cause of essential tremor is not known. It is the most common neurologic cause of postural or action tremor, with an estimated prevalence worldwide of up to 5 percent of the population. Essential Tremors most often affects the hands and arms and can be asymmetric. It can also affect the head, voice, chin, trunk, and legs.

The treatment is by following medications (if significant);

1) Propranolol

2) Clonazepam

3) Nadolol

4) Metoprolol

5) Primidone

Please read the resource;

http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/sec06/ch091/ch091c.html

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist your further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor