Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have red spots on the roof of my mouth and the centerline

Customer Question
of the palate...
I have red spots on the roof of my mouth and the centerline of the palate
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
2/26/2011
Doctor: Dr. Shah, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Dr. Shah :

Hello, Welcome to Just answer! I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Dr. Shah :

How long are you having these spots?

Dr. Shah :

Is there any other associated symptoms?

Customer:

Started yesterday. I have not noticed any other symptoms.

Dr. Shah :

Any discomfort in throat, nausea, fever, tiredness?

Customer:

no

Dr. Shah :

Do you feel sick?

Customer:

no

Dr. Shah :

How much are is covered? Do you see redness in your tonsils?

Dr. Shah :

area

Customer:

I don't have my tonsils. They were removed as a child, however my husband said he sees the line down the center of the palate and additionally four spots on the roof of the mouth.

Dr. Shah :

Since you do not have any other symptoms at this time, it would be very difficult to pin point a specific cause. Red areas inside your mouth that are not blisters or surrounding ulcers could be a sign of a number of things such as injury or thermal injury after drinking too hot tea/drinks. This type of temporary injury should only last a week or two. Red areas in the mouth also can be a sign of an oral infection such as mono, candidiasis etc. Another possibility is that the lining of the mouth is thinning. When this happens, capillaries are closer to the surface, making it appear more red in color. These areas, called erythroplakia, are slightly raised and bleed easily if scraped. The red spots in your mouth could be a sign of oral herpes if they surround a white or grey ulcer.

Dr. Shah :

I would suggest you to monitor it for a while and watch for new symptoms.

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Shah :

In the mean time use mouth gargle, listerine or saline gargle

Dr. Shah :

Also avoid too hot drinks.

Dr. Shah :

You are welcome!
Now you can press "ACCEPT" button to end this conversation. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.

Customer:

How about L-lysine, do you think it could be a viral infection and/ or is it contagious if I am around my 4 year old granddaughter.

Dr. Shah :

You don't have any other symptoms at this time, but yes viral infection can cause red spots inside your mouth.

Customer:

is it contagious?

Dr. Shah :

At this time it is very difficult to pin point the cause, but if it is viral, then it could be contagious...

Dr. Shah :

You can watch it for few days and see if you develop viral symptoms and feel sick

Customer:

would that be airborne contagious or only if I kiss my grandchild?

Customer:

are you still there?

Dr. Shah :

Well it can be transmitted by aerosols, direct contact etc.

Dr. Shah :

As I said, at this time we are not sure about the nature of your problem, it could be just a thermal burn,, so just monitor it and minimize your contact with granddaughter.

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor