Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

ON My CBC blood test everything was normal except for the

Customer Question
MID (la) and the MID...
ON My CBC blood test everything was normal except for the MID (la) and the MID #(la).
Those results were high (20.0 and 1.4 respectively). What does this mean and is there anything I should be concerned about?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
2/20/2011
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 6 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello
The CBC does not usually contain such values
Is there more information?;
No. I am not sure why these results are on my test. It just shows up on my results. What does it mean that they are high and what is the test for?
sorry i'll opt out so another expert might help you
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

The other expert is correct that this is not a typical finding on a CBC. There are some labs that will perform a modification of the CBC in which only a partial differential is performed. The standard CBC differential will count the neutrophils, lymphocytes, monocytes, eosinophils, and basophils, which are distinguished based upon their appearance. There also can be some atypical cells that would be specifically identified, if present. The partial differential counts based on the size of the white cells and generates results for the neutrophils and lymphocytes, as they have distinctive sizes, but the remaining types of cells are similar in size, so are grouped together in the "mid" result (short for midsize). Since there are several types of white cells that are included in the "mid" range, it is difficult to say what is causing the number to be elevated. For example, an elevation in the number of monocytes can occur in a variety of infections or inflammatory conditions, but an increase in eosinophils can occur from allergies or parasitic disease. Usually, the next step if the mid number is ***** is to perform a complete CBC so that the exact count of the various white cells can be determined, which will then guide further evaluation.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Dr. D. Love, Doctor