Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My fingernails split and break down into the quick, even

Customer Question
when I keep them short...
My fingernails split and break down into the quick, even when I keep them short. This must be some sort of nutritional deficiency. Is this related to bone health and/or calcium/magnesium intake? What do you suggest?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
2/16/2011
Doctor: Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD

Splitting of the nails is a common problem.

It even has its own name: Onychoschizia

As we age, the moisture and oils in the nails dry out and this causes the splitting.

Repeated wetting of the fingernails is also a cause.

Only rarely are nutritional deficiencies implicated in this.

I would suggest:

Keeping your nails dry: use a glove when you have to do housework.

Applying emolients and oils are the most important. You should apply Lanolein ointment, available at all chemists.

You should also take a Calcium tablet since calcium deficiency can also cause this.

You can also look up here for some general guidelines:
http://www.skinsite.com/info_onychoschizia.htm

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD