Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

I have been suffering leg pain swollen knee unable to bend

I have been suffering leg pain swollen knee unable to bend knee and have difficulty in lifting leg , walking upstairs., also have pain in the back of the knee. I also experience pain in the leg when I am sitting or lying in bed., I have seen the dr and have had an exray Dr said it was osteoarthritis but only offered pain relief and did not tell me how best to manage this condition. Could you please give me some direction
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 6 years ago.
Greetings,

Osteoarthritis of knee is treated by different modalities. Pain medicines are usually tried first. Physical therapy & exercise under the care of a physical therapist will be helpful. If you are overweight, you can try to reduce it. Glucosamine and/or chondroitin sulfates also used. If those do not help then intraarticular injection of steroid, hyaluronic acid can be given. In some cases arthroscopic & other modes of surgery are also required.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.