TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
13956133

What are the odds of getting hiv from a broken condom

what are the odds of getting hiv from a broken condom
Category: Medical
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 6 years ago.

Do you know if your partner has HIV infection?

If so- do you know any details about the partner- advanced disease? on medications? Viral load level?

And what specifically happened?

I cannot tell if you are male or female- whose condom broke? and was it during vaginal sex? anal sex? insertive or receptive?

The question is a bit more complicated to be able to give a simple answer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
male condom broke during vaginal sex. dont know female hiv or not

OK.

Well if she is not HIV infected, then your risk is obviously 0.

Even if she is HIV infected, with one single exposure, the risk is well under 1%- somewhere in the range of about 0.05%. Obviously there are factors that can change this- like if she is indeed infected or has a high level of virus etc.

But overall the risk is low enough, that without any more information, I would not generally advise "post-exposure prophylaxis" ( medications taken after the fact to lower the risk of infection). Now if you found out she was indeed infected- I would consider that.

I would nonetheless advise follow up HIV testing- at 4-6 seeks, and again at about 3 months to be sure.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.