Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

How does hydrocodone stay in an unborn babies system

Customer Question
how long does hydrocodone stay...
how long does hydrocodone stay in an unborn babies system
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
2/13/2011
Doctor: Dr.Hussey, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be up to your expectations .

Well the half life of hydrocodone is about 4 hours and it should be eliminated from the body with in a days time. But actually it is converted into its metabolites and they do take some time to clear. This drug can be detected in blood for upto 2-3 days in urine and can be detected in blood sample for up to 5 days.
In hair sample ,the traces of drug can be found for many weeks. But as far as the health hazards are concerned, the damage is expected during first couple of days and not after that.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Hi what I need to know is will hydrocodone be detected when my baby is born. I am 36 weeks pregnant but have not taken it in a week. Will my baby suffer withdrawls?
For what duration have you taken this drug?

The whole pregnancy

If you have been taking it the whole pregnancy , then your baby may suffer withdrawl symptoms. The recommendation is to stop the medicine in the third trimester as the baby can get addicted and you have been taking it well into the third trimester. So you should seek medical attention and Suboxone is a drug that can be used to treat withdrawl symptoms.
Your baby should get immediate medical care after delivery and should be monitored for withdrawl symptoms.

Best of luck...Take care.

even if I do not take anymore and the baby has not had any in a month she can still suffer withdrawls?
you have got it pretty much right. The drugs that you have already taken in last 12 weeks are enough to cause withdrawl symptoms.

Best of luck...Take care.

I only took 7-14 mg daily?
Still ,this dose can result in withdrawl symptoms.

Best of luck...Take care.

how long can these symptoms last? When I stopped the medication I tapered and did not go into severe withdrawl I just don't understand if its out of my system how can she go through withdrawl
Withdrawl occurs when there is no drug in the body. To give you m ore details, this drug is a category C drug and this means that it is less likely to cause damage and has caused damage to animal fetus in animal studies and not enough studies have been conducted in humans. So the recommendation is not to use it in pregnancy specially in third trimester. However , since the study results are limited in humans, so we have to assume that the withdrawl would occur.
As you have said that you have not undergone any withdrawl, so it makes less likely for the withdrawl to occur in the baby, but the chances cannot be discarded out rightly.
You can say that the cahnces are less and the baby is likely to adapt more in next few days before birth, but monitoring for the withdrawl symptoms should be done.

Best of luck...Take care.

wouldn't the baby have already gone through withdrawal in utero? I have nearly 3 weeks left until I am due to deliver.

wouldn't the baby have already gone through withdrawal in utero? ? I have nearly 3 weeks left until I am due to deliver

Doctor: Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor replied 6 years ago
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Hello, Your baby is still at risk for withdrawal in the first few hours to 3-5 days after delivery. Plans should be made ahead of time to monitor your baby closely after birth, as withdrawal in a neonate can become life-threatening.
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor