Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  MD since 1997
9208484

Who would you consult regarding increased episodes of

Who would you consult regarding increased episodes of extreme skin sensitivity on various trunk and extremity areas? My husband has had these for many years, but they are becoming quite severe - ready to go to Johns Hopkins, Mayo, etc., but to whom?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr PG (M.D.) replied 6 years ago.
Dr PG (M.D.) :

hi

Dr PG (M.D.) :

welcome to just answer

Dr PG (M.D.) :

are you present online?

Customer:

yes

Dr PG (M.D.) :

can you give some more information regarding your question-

Dr PG (M.D.) :

what investigations have been done for your husband earlier?

Customer:

We were advised by our primary dr to see a neurologist. My husband said that dr seemed fascinated and asked if he could come in sometime when one is occurring! That isn't feasible, as they sometimes only last a few hours, others last for a day or two. Also, there are no visible symptoms. I'm wondering if he could have something pressing on a part of his brain? He is also experiencing frequent headaches for the past few months. He was on life support with double pneumonia 5 years ago. During his 6 weeks in the ICU I had many chats with various doctors on his case who seemed to have little interest in this condition (which has bothered him for at least 15 years), mainly because they had more serious matters to deal with at that time (sepsis among them.) His prognosis was grim... thankfully he is fully recovered from that. He is a vice president of an aviation repair shop, and currently involved with several stressful developments there. What else do you need to know? What scans or tests should we be thinking about?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

does he get the skin sensitivity after any strenuous activity or stress? any headaches?

Customer:

Not necessarily, that we can pinpoint. He does seem to have headaches almost every day lately... don't know if that's related to the skin thing or just stress. He describes this skin pain as a feeling as if someone is ripping off the top layer of skin. It hurts more if touched lightly (like by sheets) than if we press down on the skin. He thinks warmth seems to help (shower, hot tub, heating pad) but not always. It has really gotten severe.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

thanks for the information

Dr PG (M.D.) :

what you are describing is hyperasthesia (increased skin sentivity)

Dr PG (M.D.) :

the causes for this can be variable

Dr PG (M.D.) :

there might be a neurological cause - compression of nerve

Dr PG (M.D.) :

in that case the hyperasthesia should not be generalised but in a patricular area or limb

Customer:

I was just going to ask if that wouldn't be the case.

Customer:

Could there be something pressing on a nerve near the brain, neck, etc.?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

the other possibilty is deficeiency of some essential elements and vitamins

Dr PG (M.D.) :

like sodium, calcium, magnesium vitamin B12 etc

Dr PG (M.D.) :

yes it could be something pressing near the brain

Dr PG (M.D.) :

but in that case the symptoms should have worsened over years or new symptoms should have occurred like any limb weakness etc

Dr PG (M.D.) :

the other possibility is a migraine varient

Customer:

he takes magnesium and B12 and thyroid meds, as well as a few other vitamins. (For the past few years.)

Dr PG (M.D.) :

is some patients of migraine after or before headaches there might be other symptoms like haloes ssen with eyes, twitching or hyperasthesia etc

Dr PG (M.D.) :

ok

Dr PG (M.D.) :

how are his thyroid levels, under control?

Customer:

Ok, what do we do next? Where should we go - we are an hour from NYC, or Phila. What kind of specialist or clinic should we consider? yes, he had a physical 6 months ago and his thyroid levels and med were unchanged.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

ok

Dr PG (M.D.) :

ideally he needs to be evaluated y a neurologist

Dr PG (M.D.) :

a different one thsi time

Dr PG (M.D.) :

a possibility of migraine should be discussed

Dr PG (M.D.) :

a CT scan or MRI of the brain and spinal cord should be done to rule out any nerve compression as a possibility

Customer:

You are not in the US, right? Do you know where we might go, other than our little town (Hilsborough, NJ - near Princeton, NJ) where someone might actually get somewhere?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

also he needs blood tests to rule out electrolyte, calcium deficiency etc, despite supplements

Dr PG (M.D.) :

no, i am not in US

Dr PG (M.D.) :

just give me a sec

Customer:

Would you recommend our seeking a center like Mayo, or should we just request the types of scans, bloodwork, etc. from our local doctors/

Dr PG (M.D.) :

your husband needs to be evaluated by a good neurologist or an institute which has a good neurology department

Dr PG (M.D.) :

one option is to go to http://www.cornellneurology.org/

Dr PG (M.D.) :

they have good neurology departments

Dr PG (M.D.) :

but if you have already tried various doctors with no results, then going to an institute like mayo makes sense

Customer:

Thank you so much. Anything else?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

glad to be of help

Dr PG (M.D.) :

hope you are able to know the cause of your husband's problem and it is solved fast

Dr PG (M.D.) :

all the best