Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Groin pain at crease between thigh and lower abdomen with

Customer Question
developing round red spots now...
Groin pain at crease between thigh and lower abdomen with developing round red spots now also occurring on opposite side - ruled out hip problem
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medical
2/5/2011
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 6 years ago
what was the diagnosis here for the rash? Is the groin pain in the area of the rash?
the groin pain is in the area of the red round spots and my doctor saw the spots and didn't say anything about them but did give me triamcinolone which i requested. the rash or spots have increased slowly over past 10 days but remain in groin and upper thigh not really in pubic area but higher up
OK--can you exactly describe these spots--flat, raised, crusty, blistering, etc.?
Difficult, but they appear roundish, rose in color more than red, slightly raised, not crusty or blistering nor do they appear to be fluid filled or have associated pus. Occasionally itch but not often, creams did not help.
except for the creams above, no antibiotics or other topical prescriptions?
No
OK--this may be folliculitis--hair shaft infection. It may or may not be MRSA, but it would require oral antibiotics. Another possibility is tinea corporis--a yeast infection, and that would be treated with topical or oral ketoconazole. Finally, considering the painful aspect, this could be shingles for which acyclovir would be helpful.
Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor