Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What is a dangerous PSA level for Prostate Cancer

2/3/2011
Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be upto your expectations .

Well a prostate of above 10 means that the chances of cancer being developed is more than 50%. A PSA of 270 means that it is too high and the chances of cancer are too high.
You must consult a urologist further evaluation as these are quite high values.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
with a PSA of 270 what are the odds of being able to treat it ? and does this PSA with this obviously high level increase expedentialy ?
Well cancer can not only be attributed for this raise in PSA. There are few other causes for such high raise. These include
Sexual activity within 48 hours of test
Inflammation of the prostate
Riding a bicycle
Benign prostatic hyperplasia

Prostate is quite sensitive and stimulation of this gland can cause a significant rise in PSA levels. So this level has to be rechecked. A repeat test has to be done.
Also treatment is possible and even with prostatic cancer, the results have been most encouraging to say the least.

Best of luck...Take care.

I am going for a biopsy Monday and then see if PSA level checks out

I am concerned as at the age of 73 and having had a check done in November 2009 with a PSA level of 5.8 it appears to be rampant awould you go for Chemeotherapy or not as I have heard that all Chemo does is prolong the inevitable but does not cure

Your advice please Tahnks
Hello again

Sorry for the delayed response as the I was having network issues.
Well get your PSA checked again before you go for biopsy because the biopsy will stimulate the prostate again.
Levels are significantly higher than 2009 and needs evaluation.
Chemotherapy is given in cancer after surgical resection of prostate. the rsults are very good for prostate cancer. The thing that you have heard might be true for some other cancers but prostate cure rate is very very encouraging as compared to other cancers of the body.

Best of luck...Take care.

Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Your internet line went down have now accepted

Reply was well handled
Andrew Rynne
Andrew Rynne, Doctor

Hi there. I have been down this road myself personally. Get your biopsies done. First things first. If they are positive for cancer then the next question will be has that cancer escaped outside the prostate capsule? Chances are that it will not have because your PSA raise is relatively recent. Either way be guided by your urologist and oncologist if you have one. You have everything going for you and your age is an advantage. My feeling is that you will be fine. If I can help more let me know.

Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor