Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

Can having a bruit in my carotid artery have any affect on

Can having a bruit in my carotid artery have any affect on my blood pressure? No matter what meds I take for my bp, my top number is *****?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Abid :

Hi

Dr. Abid :

Welcome to justanswer.com

Dr. Abid :

Do you have history of faintning?

Dr. Abid :

Thanks.

Customer:

NO

Dr. Abid :

Do you have doppler study of carotid arteries?

Customer:

Yes, every two years, good so far. I am due again this March. The sound I feel and hear in my ear at night is annoying, but I have noticed it is worse if my pressure is higher.

Dr. Abid :

Please tell me do you have carotid bruit clinically or its just sound that you hear in ears?

Customer:

Its not really in my ears, just my neck in general. I just feel the pulsating. Ears are fine.

Dr. Abid :

Ok thanks for info first thing if there is carotid stenosis then raised blood pressure can aggravate bruit because blood flow will be more through stenosed artery ,so carotid bruit can be loud in the presence of raised blood pressure.

Dr. Abid :

Regards,if you found my response helpful please click accept button so that i may get credit.

Dr. Abid :

Thanks.

Customer:

Yes, Thats what I thought. Bruit was discovered 16 years ago when I had a physical before removing my gallbladder. Angiogram showed a spirial in my artery that I was born with. So-----surgery went just fine. They initially thought I had blockage and wouldn't do the surg. /so you are telling me to just live my life and continue with the bp meds and not to worry so much about the upper number?

Dr. Abid :

Yes you should continue medicine and control blood pressure ,healthy cholestrol free diet .

Dr. Abid :

And regular physical activity.

Dr. Abid :

Regards.

Customer:

One more question, my cholestrol is getting closer to 200 every year as I get older, but Dr. says I get enough excercise to off set that. Is that number okay?

Dr. Abid :

Its the higher range of normal ,you should take cholestrol lowering drug.

Dr. Abid :

Regards.

Customer:

Okay, Thank you very much for the reassurance. Enjoyed our "chat"

Dr. Abid :

You are most welcome.

Dr. Abid :

Regards.