How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Abby Your Own Question
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 10330
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Abby is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an infected cyst between my breasts, where my

Resolved Question:

I have an infected cyst between my breasts, where my cleavage is. I had this cyst lanced about 5 years ago, but it gradually grew back, smaller than before and caused no problems until about a week ago, when it got larger (twice the size) and reddened. I had bronchitis and a viral eye infection which I attributed to the cyst problem. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic for the bronchitis and my eye doctor prescribed a steroidal drops solution for my eye. Now the cyst is sore and feels tight like a pimple ready to burst. The last time a doctor in an Immedi-Center prescribed an antibiotic (amoxicyllin) which I was allergic to as I developed a rash. When I returned to be treated for the rash he looked again at the cyst and we decided he lance it in the office. I'd like to have it aspirated by a needle rather than lanced. I am going away in 2 weeks and don't want to take the time for antibiotics, if they don't take, but would like to get this out right away, so that it can heal before I go away. Should I go to my regular doctor, an internist, who treated my bronchitis? Would she be able to aspirate it in her office, or refer me to a skin doctor? Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Your internist will be able to properly treat this.
A skin abscess, to be completely honest with you, needs to be opened and drained in order for it to heal.
Aspiration of the pus is not the standard of care for a skin abscess (unless very small). This is due to the fact that pus is not easy to aspirate due to its thickness and not all of the pus can be removed which allows the infection to persist.

But in answer to your original question, your internist can treat this in his/her office, regardless if it is small enough for aspiration or needs to be opened and drained.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Dr. Abby and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you