Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

I have stitch pain in my left hip, just above the hip. Why?

I began noticing a "stitch" pain in my left hip just above the hip bone while lying down. Last night after dancing, the pain was much sharper and is worse when going up steps. It is similar to the pain I felt when I had appentidicitis except for location. When I move so the muscle over the hip moves, I feel the pain. I would think it may be kidney related, but the pain is definitely on the side, on top of my hip bone.

Dr. Abid :

Hi. Welcome to justanswer.com

Please tell me do you have backache?

Walking aggravates pain or not?

Pain radiates down to leg or not?

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

No... only this pain that feels like an exercise pain; however I haven't done any exercise in that area.

No it does not radiate to the leg; although after the dancing last night it is radiating into my buttock.

It feels like a tight muscle over the top of the hip bone -- totally on the side, neither front, nor back. I was thinking inflamed kidney, but it is not on the back at all.

Dr. Abid :

Any local pressure over pain area aggravates pain or not?

It is not sensitive to touch

Through touch, I can identify the nucleus of the pain.

Dr. Abid :

Any history of burning sensation in urine?

Only once many years ago -- no burning now.

It feels like something internally is inflamed and swollen and thus the pain as the muscle moves over the swollen whatever.

My concern is whether it needs immediate attention or just wait and see if it resolves itself. It feels very much like the appendicitis which, of course, needed immediate attention. Obviously not appendicitis, since it was taken out and it's on the left side.

Dr. Abid :

Ok thanks for info as your problem started after attending a dancing party and you have no history of backache, radiation of pain down to leg or any history of burning in urine, you have localized pain in hip area and lying down can aggravate pain. Keeping all these facts in mind it seems that you have muscle stretch that is the reason of pain. It is not kidney pain, nor seems to be nerve pain so I will suggest you to please start Tab Naproxen Sodium 220 mg two tablets twice a day for 5 days. Muscle stretch takes sometime to heal and don't worry you will improve soon. Give rest to the area, avoid stretching and dancing till you fully recover. And it is not appendicitis.

It doesn't feel like a referred pain either, very localized to the top of the hip. More noticeable when I do a crunch or other movement.

Dr. Abid :

Thanks