Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I fell directly on my elbow. it's swollen and hurts to

i fell directly on my elbow. it's swollen and hurts to extend it fully. yesterday i could not even touch it but today i can lightly touch it. Could it just be swore or maybe something worse?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Are you having any numbness or tingling of the forearm or hand?
Catching or locking feeling of the elbow itself?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
some slight numbness in my fingers. no catching or locking, but have kept my arm bent sense it happened
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

The way that you injured yourself (by directly falling on the elbow) along with your symptoms (slight numbness and the inability to fully extend the elbow) suggests that there may be an underlying fracture.

We do not want to miss elbow fractures...if they are not treated properly, this can lead to significant disability later due to the loss of range of motion of the joint.

I would go to an urgent care center or ER today for an xray.

Until you do so, continue icing the elbow, keep it elevated as much as possible and place it in a sling. Use ibuprofen for pain.

If you have any follow up questions, please feel free to ask,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
also i forgot to mention that directly at the elbow i will get waves of pain. while just sitting a small pain comes and goes from my elbow
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
That is even more reason to have the xray done to rule out an underlying fracture (broken bone).

Ibuprofen may help a bit with pain but the ER or urgent care center can prescribe stronger pain medication if necessary.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
You are welcome,

Take good care.

Dr Abby