Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can Nyquil make you fail an alcohol test?

Customer Question
Can Nyquil make you fail...

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Medical
1/16/2011
Doctor: Dr.Hussey, Doctor replied 7 years ago
Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor

Hello!

Nyquil can give false positive for amphetamines, ecstasy, morphine etc but not for Alcohol. It has not been known to cause false positive results for alcohol.

Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 7 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Nyquil does have an alcohol content. Breath-analizers are very sensitive and if you had Nyquil before one, this could cause a positive.

If your alcohol test was an ETG alcohol test, then enough Nyquil would also make you test positive on this. This is a type of urine test that is qualitative and will test positive, very sensitive. You might check the Nyquil product as some reputedly have 25% alcohol.

Alcohol is used as a solvent in Nyquil. It can cause false positive for alcohol, if ingested in large amounts . Also you can claim the results to be false positive if you have the prescription or even without it. The other contents of the medicine can be checked in your blood that can prove that Nyquil has caused this drug test to.occur.

Please click accept ,so that I get paid for my time and effort for you. This would encourage me to keep helping people like you.

Best regards
Dr. Sam

Hello again,

I am glad the expert has agreed with my second opinion, in that Nyquil might test positive for alcohol under certain types of testing. At this point we do not know what type of alcohol test you are talking about. If you respond I will help you with specifics.

A positive alcohol test would not be negated by finding nyquil components in your system if you were still high enough in alcohol content to be illegal, just as one example.The results would not be a false positive, because it would be alcohol testing positive for alcohol. Yes, Nyquil can make you fail an alcohol test.

Let me know if you have further questions.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician