Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have pain in the muscle between the thumb and index

I have pain in the muscle between the thumb and index finger. it is swollen and when I use the hand It stiffens up and I can hardly use it, I originally injured it in 2008 and it has been getting worse as the years go. I seen a doctore, but he wasn't listening to me and he seemed preoccupied, he said there is nothing wrong with it. I used a snow blower last night and when I was done I had a hard time closing my hand
Dr. Sohaib :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer...

Dr. Sohaib :

Sorry to hear about your problem...

Dr. Sohaib :

Do you have any concurrent medical illness like diabetes, hypertension or heart disease?

Dr. Sohaib :

Any other medication, besides the one you have mentioned that you take on regular basis?

Customer:

I originally hurt it using an ice chipper, and every night i have trouble sleeping. It gets worse everyday.. I bowl in a league and I am seriously thinking about quitting becuase when I bowl it gets worse. The last time I bowled a week ago I had a hard time even gripping the ball during the last game. Driving bothers the hand alot. as well. Talking on a phone hurts. The hand hurts when I keep it still and just move the thumb.. that muscle hurts.

Dr. Sohaib :

Do you get numbness or abnormal sensations in the affected hand?

Customer:

the abnormal sensations I get are stinging, and sometimes it feels like a knife going through the hand, it hurts in the palm as well, but I guess that's because the muscle is there as well

Dr. Sohaib :

And does you hand goes cold? Pale?

Customer:

no but about pain 24 hours aqday

Dr. Sohaib :

Allright...

Dr. Sohaib :

Well this could be a pinched nerve, a condition characterized by abnormal excessive pressure over the nerve any where along its pathway...

Dr. Sohaib :

This could be trauma related nerve damage, of a pressure over the nerve due to fibrous tissue deposition during the healing phase...

Customer:

I yold the doctor I seen the other day about the ice chipper and he went out of the room and when he came back he said so tell me about when you fell.does a pinched nerve cause swelling? If it does that would explain alot

Dr. Sohaib :

Well, the swelling is not explained as this is not a regular feature of a pinched nerve, but this can occur as a result of muscle spasm due to nerve irritation...

Customer:

the more I use it, the more the irritation is, it;s my right hand, and it is a good thing that I am left handed

Dr. Sohaib :

Therefore, a comprehensive clinical examination along with testing (Nerve Conduction Studies) will be required to exactly diagnose the condition...

Dr. Sohaib :

Moreover, the stinging sensations that you get can be helped by drugs like gabapentin or pregabalin...

Customer:

i appreciate what you have told me at least you aren't telling me there is nothing wrong. The last doctor even made me wait in the waiting room for 4 hours before being seen. I think I should make an appointment with a orthopaedic? Is that correct?

Dr. Sohaib :

Also, exact identification of a pressure area over the nerve may direct an intervention to relive the abnormal pressure over the nerve, which will help you...

Dr. Sohaib :

Well, you need to see a neurologist first for detailed evaluation...

Customer:

I have used neurontin years ago and it gave me headacjes, but that was about 8 years ago. I used it for a shoulder problem.

Dr. Sohaib :

A comprehensive neurological examination, and tests like Nerve conduction studies...You neuro may refer you to an Orthopaedic for further management...

Dr. Sohaib :

I hope this answers your question...

Customer:

A neurologist would probably be better that an ortho dr. in this case, maybe I will call the va and make an appointment with their neurologist

Dr. Sohaib :

That will be good...

Dr. Sohaib :

Goodluck and Kindest Regards...

Dr. Sohaib :

Please Click ACCEPT button to give me Credit.
POSITIVE FEEDBACK & BONUS will be highly appreciated.
Feel free to ask any Follow up questions...

Customer:

You have a good day , and thanks for your time.

Dr. Sohaib :

Thank you...

Dr. Sohaib :
Customer:

can arthritis cause that muscle to swell

Dr. Sohaib :

Yes arthritis can cause swelling of the joints...An x-ray of the hand will clearly give the answer if there is any associated post traumatic arthritis or not...

Dr. Sohaib :

Regards...

Customer:

thanks you havve a good dya, I if I have any other question I will ask again. My email is *****@******.***

Dr. Sohaib :

All right...

Dr. Sohaib :