Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
27521838

What causes split finger tips and how do I cure it?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 6 years ago.
Dr Jones :

You mean split nails?

Customer:

No finger tips

Customer:

I have not receivedyour answer yet

Dr Jones :

The basic cause is dry skin due variable causes like excess washing,exposure to cold temperatures or harsh chemicals,skin disorders, excess drying,dehydration,exposure to irritants,dyes,spirit exposure etc

Dr Jones :

The treatment includes- first to find out the underlying cause and avoid it.Second part of treatment to help splits heal and prevent their recurrence.

Dr Jones :

So you need to meticulously work on finding the possible cause and prevent it.

Dr Jones :

Treatment part includes what you have already tried.But treatment may not be effective if the underlying cause is not removed.

Customer:

I am a retird Juge. I do no manual work except washing dishes, I do,nt do windows but every year for the past two years in the winter it has happened. I do have some renal problems. I am an artist and find it difficult to hold a pen or a pencil'

Customer:

If I new the cause I would not need your expert advice.

Dr Jones :

Winter associated dry skin is the cause of these symptoms.This is common thing and many people get it in winters.Using gloves whenever possible and night should be considered.Avoid cold environment as much as possible.Apply Vaseline to hands during night.Avoid dish washing if possible.Don't keep hands wet for long time.Use moisturizers during day time.Cover larger splits with band-aids.Maintain good hydration and have balanced diet.