Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have dull aching pains from both lower arms into wrists. What could this be Over this

I have dull aching pains from both lower arms into wrists. What could this be? Over this past year I have also had hair loss, bumps in my scalp, and fatique.
Such pains are most likely to be muscle pains. You should pay special attention to whether you are straining your arm in any way, for example at work by keeping it in a particular position (using the mouse for long periods without rest is a prime example), at home, at hobbies like gardening, etc. The treatment for this is RICE: rest for 2 days, ice on the painful areas, compression using a compression bandage and elevation of the arm at night.

If the symptoms persist after this, you need to see a doctor to rule out other conditions.

The conditions whoch could cause this are:

Cervical disc lesion: Pain around the shoulder going down the arm, is a typical symptom of a disc lesion. Most disc lesions are minor and can be handled with simple exercises and neck collars. You should consult your health provider or a neurologist if possible and get yourself checked up, you may need a CT or MRI of the brain and spinal column.

Arthritis: Such pain may also be due to arthritis. There are several different types of arthritis, including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, etc. You should discuss with your doctor about arthritis, there are tests which can determine whether or not you have arthritis and your type of arthritis.

Peripheral Arterial Disease: This causes decrease of the blood supply to the hands leading to such symptoms. You should discuss about doing a Doppler study of the circulation in your hands.

You should discuss with your doctor about these conditions and ask for tests to rule them out.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What about the other symptoms that started around the same time? You don't think they are related in anyway?
They are probably unrelated.

Hypothyroidism can cause such pains and can also cause hair loss and fatigue, but since your thyroid levels have been checked, this is unlikely.

Other than this, there is no single condition which links these symptoms together directly.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.