Dr. Wajid
Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)
20564665

What is the normal lifespan of a pacemaker and what is the

What is the normal lifespan of a pacemaker and what is the procedure for replacing it.Can the battery be replaced or recharged.I believe it is a digital one.
My own pacemaker was fitted 8 years ago and after my last check-up with the Cardiology technician I was told that it would be in need of replacement after my next check-up
I am a 58 year old male retiree with a history of long-distance running over a number of years,hence I started having blackouts.I retired from running several years ago and just go out for the occasional short run.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Wajid replied 6 years ago.
Dr Wajid :

Hi

Dr Wajid :

Welcome to just answer

Dr Wajid :

Well the battery time of modern pace makers vary from 5-15 years

Dr Wajid :

It depends on the multifunctioning of the pacemaker and also the rhythm of the heart

Dr Wajid :

The more the pacemaker help is required by the heart the more is the battery consumed and the earlier it wears off

Dr Wajid :

Your doctor checks the battery status during each visit and decides whether the battery needs a replacement or not

Dr Wajid :

And a pacemaker battery cannot be recharged rather it is replaced ones it has reached its end

Dr Wajid :

I hope this answers your question

Dr Wajid :

DO let me know if you have any further queries

Dr Wajid :

Thank you

Customer:

Thank you for your help D.Wajid