Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career
39815606

Why do I have green stool and green urine?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 6 years ago.

Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be upto your expectations .

How long has this been happening?
Any foul smell related with urine and stool?
Is there any diarrhea?
Any pain in abdomen?
Any medicine you take regularly for any chronic illness?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you here we go in order.

-7 days

-No foul smell

-No diarrhea

-Slight pain in right side of abdomen

-None

Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 6 years ago.

Hello again

Sorry to hear about your problem

There are several causes of green stool. Also several causes are known that cause green urine. The common cause that can change color of both is BILE. It is a fluid that is secreted by liver and stored in gall bladder. The color of this fluid changes to yellow as it passes through the gut. If the bile passes through the gut quickly, then it does not change its color and is secreted as a green colored substance. There can be few causes that can cause decrease transit time for bile. These include:

Crohns disease
Malabsorption
Ulcerative colitis
IBS
Bacterial overgrowth
Laxative
Medicines etc.

If this symptom of yours is related to the right sided pain you are having in abdomen, then it means that gall bladder is involved or excess bile is being secreted. You should undergo few tests to reach a diagnosis. These include
Stool RE
Blood CP
USG abdomen etc

Your best course would be to visit doctor preferably a gastro-entologist who could examine you and have a look at the tests to reach a diagnosis.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Previously in my life I had been diagnosed a Discinesia of bile ducts but this has never caused me any obvious problems thus I did not undertake any measures to further treat it.

Can this be a reason? I feel very weak and a bit shaky. Had to stay in bed yesterday.

Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 6 years ago.

Hello again,

It can be an after affect of biliary dyskinesia. This is because , bile is not secreted in enough amount in this disease and then can release in large amounts after wards when it gathers there. So this can be a probability .

As I already said that your best course would be to visit a gastro-enterologist who would be able to examine you and make an accurate diagnosis.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much, doctor.

It was a very professional and thorough reply.

I'm booking an appointment with a gastroenterologist.

Wishing yousuccessful happy New Year.

Natalia Dalby