Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My 82 year old mother noticed pain on her left side rib area

my 82 year old mother...
my 82 year old mother noticed pain on her left side rib area all day yesterday. She said she wondered what she had run into, but she hadn't. any way this morning her ribs are sore on a scale of one to ten a six. She looked this morning and she has a large raash under and on her left brest onto her abdomen. But the rash is red and slightly raised in spots but it does not hurt nor is it itchy, and the ribs hurt under the rash but also along the side where the rash isn't. What is going on? we will be going to the doctor but would like your opinion, thanks
pat
12/28/2010
Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Dr PG (M.D.) :

hi

Dr PG (M.D.) :

welcome to just answer

Dr PG (M.D.) :

are you present online?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

any ideas

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Has she any history of chronic illnesses, medicines, similar illnesses in the past?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Is the rash itchy painful and vesicular (water filled blisters)

Dr PG (M.D.) :

?

Customer:

she has had never had anything like this, she does have high blood pressure (controled)

Customer:

no pain on the surface under the surface it hurts, she is describing this as her ribs hurting, no water blisters

Customer:

not itchy

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Has she any history of Chicken Pox? Any tingling?

Customer:

chicken pox when she was little, yes she says yes there is a tingling and pain

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Ok

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Herpes zoster / shingles is a possibility in this situation

Dr PG (M.D.) :

The water blister like rash may appear later

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Another possibility is something called Pityriasis Rosea

Dr PG (M.D.) :

See an image and description of the same here

Customer:

and what will be done for these and how will they determine which it is?

Customer:

the rash looks redder on mom

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Ok

Customer:

is herpes zoster and shingles the same things?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Well a physician should be able to differentiate these by just looking, and the vesicles may appear over the next couple of days

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Yes

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Zoster is the same as shingles

Customer:

how contagious is it?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Zoster is contagious, the fluid is infectious though not as infective as chicken pox

Dr PG (M.D.) :

pityriasis rosia is not really contagious

Customer:

Last questions;will her having a bath spread the rash ? how would she have got either of them?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

No

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Having a bath does not spread the rash

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Zoster is a reactivation of the Chicken Pox virus

Dr PG (M.D.) :

while P rosea is probably transmitted by respiratory contact, though the exact mode of transmission is not really known

Customer:

Thank-you very much for your help and quick and complete answers.

Customer:

Just wanted to send you a bonus by the site doesn't seem to work as easily as it use to.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

:)

Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor