Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career
39815606

They have found a mass on the outside lining of my colon.

They have found a mass on the outside lining of my colon. They want to do a colonopsy, but everything that I have read about them. States that this is used only to see the lining of the colon, they do not mention the outside wall of the colon.
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be upto your expectations .

Sorry to hear about your problem

You are right in saying that the colonoscopy would see the internal lining , but the point is that ultrasound finding cannot pick the small lesions in the walls and in the lumen and also the extent of the growth cannot be found out by ultrasound. Colonoscopy would help in visualising the colon and the margins of the growth would be visualized as well as the lumen will be seen. The mass outseide the colon would best be visualized with help of aN MRI. Both an MRI and a colonoscopy are necessary in this case.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

They haven't mention a MRI, they have mention a CAT scan.

They haven't mention what they might be looking for and now I am just getting upset to know that there is a mass, which they said is not bowels but won't say anything else.

I just hate wasting the insurance company money for test that might not be nessary.

Hello again

A cat scan is fine as well instead of MRI. Both colonoscopy and CAT scan are necessary and not a waste of money at all. If the mass is not attached to the walls of intestine, still the colonoscopy should be done to see if this growth is secondary to some primary lesion inside the colon or not. A CAT scan would be able to help locate the lesion exactly with all its dimensions.
These investigations are not at all a waste of money but are extremely necessary. I understand your concern about the situation . You have to go through these procedures to reach an exact diagnosis.

Best of luck...Take care.