Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Causes of unilateral ankle swelling (non-traumatic)?

Customer Question
causes of unilateral ankle swelling (non-traumatic)?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Medical
12/5/2010
Doctor: Dr.Sawhney, Doctor replied 7 years ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Hello

Following are the causes which can cause edema in foot and ankle area on one side only.

• Venous insufficiency that is inability of the pumping system of the leg to pump the blood back to heart is the most common cause in elderly.
  • Secondary lymphedema which can be caused by a tumor, radiation, surgery or bacterial infection.
  • Pelvic tumor or lymphoma can cause one leg edema by producing external pressure on veins.
  • Cellulitis which is an infection of the skin and subcutaneous tissue can also cause swelling in the area but is associated with other signs like redness and warmth of the area
  • But the most worrisome cause can be Deep Vein Thrombosis.In this the deep veins of the calf or whole of lower extremity can develop clots and if these clots travel in the circulation can cause serious problems.A Color Doppler examination would help rule it out or confirm its presence.
You do need to see a doctor for examination of the area so that relevant investigations can be done and treatment started.

Relist: Answer quality.
information too general and most not applicable
I mentioned about the different possible causes because that is what you asked for.
If you can be more specific about your condition I can give you a more specific answer.
Please tell me in detail what your concern is.
Any specific medical conditions to rule out with non-traumatic swelling of one ankle
You need to get deep vein thrombosis ruled out as this is the most serious condition which can cause non traumatic swelling in one ankle only.
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor