Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have dizziness when I roll over in bed onto my left side.

I have dizziness when I roll over in bed onto my left side. I was at the sink wetting my hair and was okay till I tilted my head onto the left side. At the sink i was overwhelmed with a nauseated feeling and dizziness. I had to kneel down until the dizziness went away. The dizziness goes away after less than about a minute.
A month or so ago I had the same symptoms and my doctor gave me a shot of steroid and a shot of antibiotic. I think he was treating inner ear infection. The problem of head cold and dizziness went away quickly.
I have no other weakness anywhere. Sort of backed up sinus, some drainage. No fever. I feel sort of "sick". Seems like my head cold might be affecting my balance? What do you think?
thanks,
Scott
Mysticdoc :

hello,

Mysticdoc :

thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

it seems like you got another ear infection.

Mysticdoc :

this is also known as acute labyrinthitis.

Customer:

sort of my thought

Mysticdoc :

this causes dizziness & other symptoms you described.

Mysticdoc :

your sine infection may not have cleared completely & can spread to the inner ear.

Mysticdoc :

this can be viral or bacterial infection.

Mysticdoc :

bacterial infection usually causes purulent sinus discharge, fever and will persist longer than 4-5 days

Customer:

Sounds like another trip to the Dr.

Mysticdoc :

yes, I also think so.

Customer:

initially the shots he gave me seemed to help

Mysticdoc :

in the meantime, drink plenty of fluids, avoid any dangerous activities like driving, swiming etc.

Mysticdoc :

yes, this reduces the inflammation and also antibiotic treats the bacterial infection.

Mysticdoc :

if you have chronic aller problem, this makes you prone for sinus & ear infections.

Mysticdoc :

other chronic conditions like diabetes also increases risk of sinus infection.

Customer:

no diabetes

Mysticdoc :

ok good

Customer:

well, thanks for your thoughts. If it continues or gets worse I'll stop in to see my Dr.

Mysticdoc :

steroid nasal spray may be tried if allergic issues suspected for your persistent sinus infection.

Mysticdoc :

yes i agree

Mysticdoc :

I am glad to know that you have found my advice helpful.
Please click ACCEPT, if you do not have any other question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Customer:

is over the counter steroid spray available?

Mysticdoc :

unfortunately not--all steroid sprays are prescription products

Customer:

ok, I currently am fighting a bad case of what could be poison ivy or one of those from doing some outside work cleaning up around my property

Mysticdoc :

ok--this may have contributed to your probem.

Customer:

thanks for your time. I will click accept

Mysticdoc :

welcome--get well soon