Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

My hands and my arms feel numb all the time with a tingling

my hands and my arms feel numb all the time with a tingling censations why is that?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.
Since when are you having these symptoms? Are there any associated symptoms like swelling/ neck pain? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this is been happening for about 2 weeks now. it started only at night really bad with pain and now during the day. I am diabetic
Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.
I can understand your anxiety.
We need to consider few causes. Let me explain a bit. My first bet will be irritation of the nerve concerned. This can happen at the spine levels or at its course. The spine consists of vertebrae and intervertbral discs { soft tissue cushion if I may say }. The cord or bunch of nerves in simple word passes through the spinal canal { formed by vertebral body in front and ring like posterior part around }. Any bone spur of displacement or bulge of the disc cause pressure over the cord which results in symptoms like pain / numbness / tingling due to nerve irritation. The nerves leave the spinal canal through small rounded openings laterally. Pinching of these nerve roots can occur at this level too.
Other cause which can cause these symptoms is reduced blood supply {spasm at vessels or atherosclerosis}/ vitamin or mineral deficiency.
I would suggest you to have a physical check up along with few investigations like blood tests/ MRI cervical spine/ nerve conduction study/ color doppler for vessels. Treatment will follow.
Till than avoid sitting or standing in one position for long {working on computer}/ avoid pushing or pulling/ have balanced diet and adequate fluid/ stay away from stress {yoga, meditation help}.
Please do not worry, you will be fine soon. God bless
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can you explain what is atherosclerosis?
Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.
Formation of plaques at the intima {innermost layer of the artery} is the major effect of atherosclerosis. This leads to narrowing of lumen of the vessel and so reduced blood flow to the concerned part of the body. Color doppler does help for diagnosis and to see for severity.
God speed