Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

How does 1 shot of kenalog stay in your system? i got one a

Customer Question
how long does 1 shot...
how long does 1 shot of kenalog stay in your system? i got one a month and a half ago and have had horrible side effects... i got it in the back of my neck for nerve pain. it was the worst decision of my life. some peole say 60-90 days.. i have also heard it stays for 8 months!! and when it does wear off will i have bad withdrawl symptoms? how long does it take your body to fully recover from 1 shot?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Medical
11/29/2010
Doctor: Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician replied 7 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
The half-life is 88 minutes - which means after that after about 7 1/2 hours it has been metabolized by your body - HOWEVER, the effects of the injection can last months.
Kenalog (Triamcinolone) is a moderate to high potency steroid - meaning that it has can have a high degree of effect to decrease inflammatory response in your body.
Side effects to the injection are minimal but you can have side effects such as chest pain - but usually are not long lasting.
Relist: Answer quality.
according to what i have already been told... kenalog crystals form at the injection site and stay there for a long time... definatly longer than 7 and a half hours.. i really really just want to know how long this slow release medication is going to be bothering me.
that is correct, I am saying the body has metabolized the kenalog in about 7 1/2 hours - but when you get an injection of kenalog - this is essentially a 'depo' shot - meaning that depending 'where' in your body you get this shot, this can have long lasting effects. But, what is interesting is that this is a steroid injection that we use for anti-inflammatory process - but it can have some severe reactions.
See this website: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/kenalog-side-effects.html
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician