Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Note that i had an episode of german measles for

Hello, <br /><br />Note that...
Hello, <br /><br />Note that i had an episode of german measles for 5 days, last thursday. <br />My wife 32 years old - 70kg, 1m68. <br /><br />2 days ago, skin rash with small spots on the neck, <br />yesterday, skin rash with small spots on the chest, tummy and back as well as arms <br />today, skin rash with small spots on legs and feets. Added to this, runny nose (transparent) for the last 48 hours. <br /><br />Also developped today, left eye stinging in the center with crying. <br />Now, the eye condition is not stinging any more, but light blurry vision from left eye. <br /><br />No apparent fever, just cold chills time to time. <br /><br />What is a diagnosis, how to confirm it - and how to treat : <br /><br />- itching (Xyzal for now is doing the job) <br />- eye condition (golden eye [dibrompropamidine isetionate 0.15%] got rid of the pain, but blurry vision developped) <br />- runny nose (nothing used) <br /><br />When would be the attention of a field doctor needed ? <br /><br />Thanks
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/27/2010
TheGermDoctor

How was the diagnosis made in your wife?

Is your question still all about her symptoms? Or do you have any symptoms as well?

Has she had her "routine" vaccinations"?

It is not clear- did her rash start last Thursday- or did it end ( after 5 days) on Thursday?

When in relation to the rash are the eye symptoms - how many days later?

The question is about her symptoms.

There was no diagnostic made to my wife by a professional doctor. So far I have no symptoms, and i had german measles until last week diagnosed by a doctor at a hospital in London (he checked in my nose, hears, throat, took my fever (38), and checked my skin rash)

Her rash started about 3 days ago, on the shoulders, spread to her chest and back, then to her feets. Mainly now she has the rash scattered over her body. (not the face)

The eye symptom came in today. Stinging and eye crying until 4 hours ago, and now only eye crying with blurry vision, and its her main concern.

As for her vaccination, she is originating from Madagascar which has a quite small health system, and she believes she had been vaccinated after birth against the common diseases such as this one.

Thank you

To clarify- in you, was the diagnosis confirmed, that is with a blood test, or just made on clinical grounds by your doctor.

Do you have any children- if so it is standard practice to do blood tests for immunity to rubella- If so your wife should know her status as to whether she is immune, or susceptible to rubella ( german measles).

Have you been around any small children recently? Anyone that was ill?

The doctor made the diagnostic without blood test, and told me that within a few days it would be gone. It is gone.

We have 2 kids, 18 months yo (MMR vaccinated) and 5 yo (MMR vaccinated).

We get indeed around small children a lot for birthday parties and things like that, 3 weeks ago - my 5 yo son birthday party in a kid's playground (where there was mainly around 200 kids running around).

Note that the GP (public doctor) gave her clobetasone butyrate to treat ecczema in her back 2 days ago, and she currently uses that as well, however it didnt stop the spread of the skin rash.

You have not clarified if she was known to be susceptible or not- This is a standard pre-natal blood test for rubella antibodies- and if she had pre-existing antibodies, she would not get rubella now.

I am not 100% convinced that you have rubella either- although it is possible.

Other possibilities include a variety of viruses- including parvovirus, measles, coxsackie virus, hand foot and mouth disease, HHV-6, enterovirus, as well as scarlet fever. Other possibilities, less likely would be a ricketssial disease, an allergy or less likely menigococcal disease.

The likelihood is you both got a similar viral illness- and likely picked it up from one of the kids you were around- Kids are common sources for these viral illnesses.

The likelihood as well is this will just run its course alone and resolve without specific management. The antihistamine is fine for the eye symptoms.

I cannot of course give you a specific diagnosis online. And in fact most doctors would be hard pressed to confidently tell you the diagnosis- The doctor who diagnosed you without a blood test, was making an educated guess.. but I would suspect there is a better than average chance he is incorrect and you have a different self limiting viral illness. In most people making a precise diagnosis is not critical, because like most viruses we do not prescribe anything more than rest and an anti-fever med as needed ( paracetamol).

In your wife's case it would be important to make a diagnosis only if she can possibly be pregnant now- If not, I would continue supportive care and see a doctor if she is not improving.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Thank you very much doctor. We had our first kid in Florida, the second one in the UK, so i believe that we would know if she was succeptible to get rubella, and I understand why i might have had another disease. (It seems there are so many out there !)

She is not pregnant - However she is concerned with the eye condition, no pain but eye crying. (when) Should i be concerned with her eye condition ?

Yes- if you were in the US I can almost guarantee you would have been told she was susceptible, if she had normal obstetrical care- and she would have been given a vaccine post-partum if she was still susceptible.

And yes-there are many viruses- all of which can have similar symptoms- That is why a blood test diagnosis really is the best way to be confident- even for an infection specialist.

As for the eye- if it is just tearing, I would not be too worried. If the blurring you described only came on from the eye drops, but otherwise she has clear vision- then I still would not worry. I suspect it too will resolve in the next few days. If not, then unfortunately you do indeed need to see a doctor.

TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor