Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care
13500761

About 4 years ago I had endoscopy and was diagnosed with

Customer Question

Hi
About 4 years ago I had endoscopy and was diagnosed with helicobator pyloria (sorry about spelling) and it was thought at the time that I had pre-cancerous cells of the oesphagus and after a 2 week wait the results were clear.
I was diagnosed with breast cancer 24 months ago, and when I had reconstruction the consultant said in his opinion I should have had radiotherapy.
There is also a history of cancer of the osophagus, stomach and bowle cancer in my family on my dads side.
I had been on anti-inflamatories along with omeprazol (to counter the effects of anti-inflamatories) because of back pain but developed heartburn and acid so my doctor took me off the the anti-inflamatories.
Since the summer I hve had heartburn and acid. It got steadily worse, hunger pains, then I need to eat every 3 hours or so, a bit of a circle really. Recently I have been having heartburn, reflux of acid, and food when I either eat or drink, and can bring anything up from one to 3-4 mouthfulls of food.
My doctor has now arranged for another endoscopy but over the last 3 days I have developed something akain to: you know when you have eatern too fast and you have pain in gullet but have something to drink to get rid of pain, well I am having that when I eat or drink. Basically all the time now. Should I see my doctor or just wait for endosopy which is a week away.
I was diagnosed with breast cancer 24 months ago, and when I had reconstruction the consultant said in his opinion I should have had radiotherapy even thought the lymph nodes were clear.
There is also a history of cancer of the osophagus, stomach and bowle cancer in my family.
With prevous cancer issues and my dad constantly nagging me to get guts sorted and reminding me about cancer in the family, I cannot be objective about this.
I would value your opinion?.
Many thanks
Christine O'Keefe
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 8 years ago.
Greetings from New York, this is Dr. Jerry E. I'm so glad you asked this question, let me give you some medical information now.
Christine, I would wait for the endoscopy. If you should develop any new type of chest discomfort, shortness of breath, dizziness or weakness, get to your nearest emergency department as these can signal a heart or lung emergency.
Dr. E